Leroy Neiman original seri/litho? numbered/signed at thrift

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friends, I scored this beautiful Leroy Neiman at a thrift store after work today! This is another thrift store that I frequent, but it's on another side of town! I had to run an errand in that area, and took the opportunity to stop and browse. To my surprise, this was there, I looked it up a little and jumped on it right away! I finally figured out that the matt is cut at the signature area to allow the sig to be noticed or else the matt was going to cover it. The number part is covered, so I do not know what number of the edition it is. It's from the edition called "Lion's Pride"! I believe the edition is from 1971-3, and it was an edition if I'm not mistaken of 300. It looks truly majestic with that frame. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback! I appreciate it!

RJA LN5.jpg LN1.jpg LN2.jpg LN4.jpg LN6.jpg LN7.jpg

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice print. I'm thinking it needs to be taken out of the frame to see if it is actually a numbered edition or an open edition. It would be worth considerably more if numbered (like 10x) and there are signed open editions of this piece out there.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks austin/diggummup, I can take it apart, but I can't put it back together as neatly as it is. :) I do have a friend that has a picture framing business, so I'll take it to him to verify for me. Thanks again!

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehhh ? heh

Guess my post was ignored...
At least ignore is a 2 way street.

Hi AARC, what post was that? I only see two, the one from austin and dig! I sincerely apologize but your post is not on the thread! Can you p[lease confirm? Thank you!

RJA

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking that if it was a numbered edition, it would have been notched out too, like the signature. Makes sense right?

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Point of no particular interest but it relates to Leroy Neiman (and others, I'm sure). Back in the 70's and maybe early 80's there was a tax shelter where people would buy an artist's right to make prints of a certain painting. I don't know how it worked, but it was something the rich were doing for a write-off. So a friend of mine had bought the rights to one of Leroy's paintings and he had four prints made and signed by Leroy. That's all that was made of this painting. He gave me one. It was a beautiful painting of the America's Cup race, painted on a nautical chart of Martha's Vineyard (I recall). I stupidly gave it to a girl I was dating (not the first time I've that mistake). Wonder what it is worth today. Point being - check to see if this is a super-limited edition along those line.

Another girl I was dating had a rich father, and he bought the original oil painting by Leroy Neiman of the 21 Club in New York. This was around 1976 and I think he dropped 20 grand on it. Daddy had a big party to show off the unveiling, on the same day Burger King had started a promotion involving art work by Leroy Neiman. We gave him shite about it, and he was p.o'ed!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My concern is it is not signed in pencil and the copyright is printed on the edge of the image.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering what the dimensions are. The 300 LE's measure 34 x 46", the poster measures 22 x 29 5/8", I guess that would be considered the open edition.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering what the dimensions are. The 300 LE's measure 34 x 46", the poster measures 22 x 29 5/8", I guess that would be considered the open edition.

Thanks to all, I appreciate your valuable comments and feedback. I'm taking it this weekend to a fine art gallery! I want to verify if it is a numbered edition. Also, the sig is in pen, so they're going to look at it closely to see if it's an original sig, or stamp! I paid $10 for it at the thrift store, so if it's not an original numbered edition, it won't break the bank or my heart! :-) Thanks again!

RJA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread