A kid and his coins.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at one yard sale and asked the gramma if she had any old coins. She said no but her grandson said he did, and he could sell them. He was maybe 10? Goes in the house and brings out a piggy bank.. I'm thinking he had all new coins but he reassured me that they were all pretty old. They were his grandpas.

Dumps them out in a box and says pick out what you want!!! So I did, a 1909 barber half, a 1934 walker, some silver quarters, 2; 1 oz silver rounds, some silver mercs along with some foreign silver. Called grandma over and showed her what he had. Asked her if she would run him over to the library some time to get a red book and let him read it. And price his coins. Said, you should save these for when you have kids, put them away until you can share them with your kids! Pointed out what to look for and said what they were worth...

There was no way I was going to buy those coins from him. And I actually felt pretty good to sit down with them and teach them a little bit as he was really interested in them! Actually it's probably one of my best stops of the day!

Just wanted to share!

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U did good !

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much better than what money can buy. You blessed him with wisdom. Congrats!

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a very good deed. I think that is one reason you do so well, you are always spreading positive energy and doing the right thing, it seems.

Too many people would have not only bought his coins, they would have done so at some fraction of the market just to make a few more bucks, and called it good.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me think what I would have done. One time I did buy some worthless baseball cards from a kid. I knew they were not worth a dime, just wanted to help the kid out. I did tell him that baseball cards are not worth anything any more. Just the special 1 in a billion card that makes collectors buy the packs.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I remember when I was probably 17 my girlfriends grandfather had a coin store. I told him that my grandmother gave me some coins and he told me to bring them into him. I did and I remember him giving me about $100 telling me to take his granddaughter on a date. And to this day I wish I would've kept them because I like coins now but more importantly it was the only thing I ever inherited from my grandmother. And I sold it for a measly hundred dollars not knowing what it was. And I guess he hadn't had the opportunity to actually enjoy them or even really know what he had. And I don't want to be that guy because they're just gonna sit in my pile and mean nothing to me where they might actually bring back some good memories for him later on in life. Just one of those things I felt like I couldn't do and feel good about myself I guess.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now if Gramma wanted to part with them all for twenty bucks, that would be a different story! Haha. Good job on educating the youth!

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story ! Even makes me feel good ! :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting !

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing. Nice job

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done beachkid23!! Anytime we can help a young person appreciate things from the past, it's a good thing. Even a crusty pirate like myself has a soft spot!! [emoji39].

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, but he would have been thrilled if you had given him $10 for them. Poor kid probably sold 'em for $5 to the next guy there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread