Anyone knowledgeable about Native American jewelry or pottery?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Hit a decent estate sale yesterday & found a few things. The deceased had traveled out west at various times in the 60's-80's. I scored the pot for $5 & the earrings for $2. I'm reasonably certain both are Native American. Beyond that I'm stumped. The writing on the bottom of the pot is in pencil & has been worn away. The signature on the earrings is obviously W.C. followed by what looks to me like Gracho, Gracko, Guacho, or Guacko. Couldn't find anything online under any of those. Any info would be appreciated.

4991.JPG 4995.JPG 5000.JPG 5001.JPG 5011.JPG 5014.JPG 5015.JPG

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help with the signature but the style of the earrings is called petit point turquoise and indicative of a Zuni creation. The artist is most likely Zuni and that may help the search on the maker. Nice earrings! Good luck!

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the pottery I can make out Arizona which you can use as a starting point to begin your search. Southwestern pottery is highly stylistic with specific symbols used by specific tribes and cultures. Not sure but the first word I can make out looks like Hopi to me.

This site will give you an idea of where it might have come from

https://www.palmstrading.com/different-pottery-styles/

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I was thinking Zuni on the earrings & Hopi on the pottery. Just not confident on either one. That link does have some pottery pieces that are stylistically similar. I'm thinking mine is older.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 very nice pieces in my opinion. I think your right on the Zuni and the Hopi designations. I don't see that mark for the earrings online or in my "Hallmarks of the Southwest" book.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pottery is Pueblo OR Hopi...
Looks like it says "Hopi of Arizona" on bottom.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread