May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had time to kill so I stopped by a Clothes Mentor Store. Did well. The bracelet was $4 and weighs 24g of 925 and the ring was $6 and is gold over 925. I have both listed online. I should turn a nice profit. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449234887.128781.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449235004.369573.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449234904.035285.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449234920.527187.jpg

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are beautiful. Congratulations! 90% of success is showing up. :-)

RJA

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are beautiful. Congratulations! 90% of success is showing up. :-)

RJA

Thank you. People in my metal detecting club keep telling me how lucky I am to find such great items. They have no idea how much time I put into searching for these nuggets!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at ours, only to be stared at by the 20 ladies in there looking like I was a lost fool. Walked in, nope, they don't sell jewelry.. Looked around. And they were all staring at me. I had that Get out!! Type of feeling.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at ours, only to be stared at by the 20 ladies in there looking like I was a lost fool. Walked in, nope, they don't sell jewelry.. Looked around. And they were all staring at me. I had that Get out!! Type of feeling.

You should have asked where the lingerie section was.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol Beachkid I think your kids are still too little for this but soon enough you will be looking for gifts for tween/teen girls and this will probably happen to you repeatedly. I was just introduced to the idea of hunting stores like Buffalo Exchange/Clothes Mentor/Plato's Closet but a friend's new lady friend is a fellow picker and she said she's found some good stuff there, including nice gold a couple of times. If it makes you feel any better I'm a relatively young, presentable lady and when I went to my local Buffalo Exchange to test the waters I still kinda got the vibe you describe above. I did find a cool silver Tuareg cross pendant though so there is at least silver out there! And none of the jewelry was priced over 5 or 6 bucks.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I stopped giving a hoot what people think. If a 50 year old man likes to look at jewelry so be it! I only act weird after I leave lol!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had some really good finds at Clothes Mentor. Never at Plato's Closet. (Although someone did find a Yurman at ours.) I found a 10K ring, a 14K bracelet, and more. I have also had great luck selling there. Since I have so much stuff in my house from all those jars, I just make up boxes of stuff to take there. I made $200 there last week. (You get more if you take a store credit. I only did it the first time. Then I took the rest in cash.) Be forewarned; they pay very little. BUT ... seeing as I am selling watches on Ebay for $0.50 a piece, getting $2-$3 a piece is a lot better. They sell for half to a third of retail value, and pay about a 1/3 of that. So a $20 watch will get you $3.
Beach, there is a yucky guy around here who goes to the ladies stores. He's obnoxious, and doesn't give a hoot what anyone thinks. I only don't like him because he is rude, makes a mess, and doesn't fix it up after. He won't budge when he is looking, and doesn't care if he drops stuff on the floor. I know the store owners don't like him as well.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. People in my metal detecting club keep telling me how lucky I am to find such great items. They have no idea how much time I put into searching for these nuggets!

Great finds, J.D.... But, I'd bet the time you spent searching was a fraction of the time you'd spent trying to find an SS bracelet and ring with your medal detector. I still use my Minelab about once a month, but I find so much more since I found "garage sales" and places like you do. Today, while metal detecting, I walked up on $5 in ones and three $5 bills folded up and lying on a flea market's ground.... Also, a WWII marksman 'rifle' metal, and clad change.

This weekend started early with a Thursday estate sale.... I spent, maybe a total of 3 hours at an estate sale, garage sales, and a flea market. Sunday night I totaled my cost of $80 and then the scrap price for my finds. 654.4 grams (1.33 Troy pounds :piratehand:)of Lunt sterling flatware, SS jewelry, and 19.2 grams of 14kt gold.

The time spent shopping places like you checkout compared to the time detecting brings in so much more bounty and more times of gushing adrenaline rushes. Keep up the good work!

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, J.D.... But, I'd bet the time you spent searching was a fraction of the time you'd spent trying to find an SS bracelet and ring with your medal detector. I still use my Minelab about once a month, but I find so much more since I found "garage sales" and places like you do. Today, while metal detecting, I walked up on $5 in ones and three $5 bills folded up and lying on a flea market's ground.... Also, a WWII marksman 'rifle' metal, and clad change.

This weekend started early with a Thursday estate sale.... I spent, maybe a total of 3 hours at an estate sale, garage sales, and a flea market. Sunday night I totaled my cost of $80 and then the scrap price for my finds. 654.4 grams (1.33 Troy pounds :piratehand:)of Lunt sterling flatware, SS jewelry, and 19.2 grams of 14kt gold.

The time spent shopping places like you checkout compared to the time detecting brings in so much more bounty and more times of gushing adrenaline rushes. Keep up the good work!

Bill

Wow you killed it! Yes md'n has not been productive lately so TS, GS, and ES is what I have been doing mostly.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had some really good finds at Clothes Mentor. Never at Plato's Closet. (Although someone did find a Yurman at ours.) I found a 10K ring, a 14K bracelet, and more. I have also had great luck selling there. Since I have so much stuff in my house from all those jars, I just make up boxes of stuff to take there. I made $200 there last week. (You get more if you take a store credit. I only did it the first time. Then I took the rest in cash.) Be forewarned; they pay very little. BUT ... seeing as I am selling watches on Ebay for $0.50 a piece, getting $2-$3 a piece is a lot better. They sell for half to a third of retail value, and pay about a 1/3 of that. So a $20 watch will get you $3.
Beach, there is a yucky guy around here who goes to the ladies stores. He's obnoxious, and doesn't give a hoot what anyone thinks. I only don't like him because he is rude, makes a mess, and doesn't fix it up after. He won't budge when he is looking, and doesn't care if he drops stuff on the floor. I know the store owners don't like him as well.

Thanks for the reply. I hate those that are obnoxious. I see them all the time. BTW...I hit my first Platos closet and you are right. Junk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions