Help with a little piggy who went to market!

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this bronze bank today at a swap meet for ten bucks.

Can anyone tell me more about metal banks, or if I did ok?

He's pretty cute, but I've never bought anything like it before. I had a guy follow me out of the booth and try to buy it from me, which makes me curious... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450477227.299602.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450477240.414046.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450477250.728565.jpg

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are the 2 halves assembled? Usually 2 piece banks have a single screw through the side but I don't see one on yours. Take a picture of the underside and opposite side for a better reference.

Lots of banks have been reproduced over the years but yours looks promising.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen one at the Flea Market only it was a donkey and missing the screw that kept the halves together. Would not had noticed it had you not posted the pig. I did not buy the donkey since I did not want to have to find a screw that would work.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
HEY!! That's not shiny!! LOL Just kidding, nice find. I think it is good and I probably would have taken a chance on it too. I hope it isn't a re-pop.

T.

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY!! That's not shiny!! LOL Just kidding, nice find. I think it is good and I probably would have taken a chance on it too. I hope it isn't a re-pop.

T.

True, it isn't shiny, but sometimes you gotta get out of your comfort zone!

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are the 2 halves assembled? Usually 2 piece banks have a single screw through the side but I don't see one on yours. Take a picture of the underside and opposite side for a better reference.

Lots of banks have been reproduced over the years but yours looks promising.

Hey Big Caddy,

Thanks for the reply. Here are some pics of the other side and underside. It's held together with what looks like a stripped out flat-head screw (something I've done a hundred times in various house projects :tongue3:) It has a few little notches that help lock it together ( you can see on the underside photo near the rear legs), and it's really tightly held together. It even had two pennies in it. Alas, nickels and quarters don't fit in the slot in the back of it….

It kinda rotates apart, which I attached a photo of as well. It doesn't open very wide, just enough to shake out the coins. It has a lot of filing marks on it, I'm assuming from the casting process.

Also, it's heavy as all get out. Any information would be appreciated, like when it was made, etc. Thanks so much for all your help! TNet is the Best! IMG_3474.JPG IMG_3469.JPG IMG_3470.JPG IMG_3471.JPG

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks old and does have some "correct" features that you want to see on old banks. The casting grain is very fine and not pebbly or sandy that cheaper, reproductions will have. The slotted hardware is a good sign since its really rusty and hasn't been replaced. Phillips head screws showed up around 1940 so most banks sporting those are fakes or reproductions, which are not the same thing. fakes are junk, repos have collectible value, just not as much as an original.

The file marks look good because these banks were hand finished, not hit with a bench grinder. The gap between the 2 halves is tight with some gaps. Not all banks are joined perfectly so some gaps are okay, huge ones are a red flag.

Ill let my old man take a look at the pictures later. He might recognize the maker or style and should be able to tell if its original or not. If i get a chance, ill take a picture of his office for you.

i almost forgot, the feet! The wear on the feet indicates many years of being moved around on dusty surfaces. Bronze isn't soft but that type of wear is hard to fake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread