Collector Spoons?

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Does anyone else buy these up when you find them at garage sales, auctions, etc? In the past if I ran into a pile of them at a garage sale I would just look to find the sterling pieces. I bought a bag of them at the last garage sale I was at for $5 and found a lot of silver plate, aluminum, etc. However, when I listed them I sold almost every single piece. I thought people stopped collecting these years ago.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I'm surprised. Can you share some links of your completed listings? I may be getting lazy or jaded, but I don't want to buy something for $5 and sell it for $10 or $20 anymore. I want to sell it for no less than $50 and it better be easy to pack and ship in a small box- just like a collector spoon. But then I don't make my living this way. I want to do it for fun and stop making my house a museum of failed speculations. I know a place where there are dozens of small U. S. state collector spoons, but didn't find any silver. Sometimes European landmark spoons will be 800 or 900 silver. Still, if you have found a niche, fulfill it!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jason,

I had checked a few years back when liquidating some of these spoons for an elderly lady we knew....with the costs of listing, hassles, etc.....I ended up cashing them in for scrap value for her.

Regards + HH

Bill

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a few cool ones before, a Rolex one even. But no clue on the worth.

I found a Rolex spoon, paid maybe $.50 for it. I bought it because of a Rolex golf hat I bought sold pretty quick for decent money. I was disappointed that they don't seem to be worth much.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've frequently come across those Rolex spoons... I came across a small thrift shop that had a coffee can on the counter full of small souvenir spoons. I picked like 13 sterling ones out of it for $2.00 each. I remember two out of the 13 I listed individually as one was for Baraboo, Wisconsin and it sold for over $40.00 and the other was for Telluride, Colorado that sold for over $90.00. The other 11 I sold as scrap on eBay all together. When it comes to these little spoons, I'll buy them on the PM value and subject matter. There are collectors of these out there who are paying up on the old and rare ones. Just research the high sellers of these on eBay and you'll have a good idea on what to keep an eye out for.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see them often at sales and I only buy the Sterling ones which seem to be few and far between. Good Luck! and Merry Christmas!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually pay less than a $1 and keep all silver. Occasionally I'll find one from a unique place or expo turn them for good profit even though they weren't silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread