End of the year finds and toast.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a good week picking.

First I got three pieces of Bohemian ruby red glass for $7.

An engraved scene of a dancing Bear.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

A similar style glass for sale on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/202673706/antique-bohemian-beaker-hunt-scene-red

Glass number 2

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Glass number 3

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Two sterling horses weighing 6.5 oz

image.jpeg

And a Tiki Mug from The Motel and Restaurant on the Mountain.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The interesting part of this tiki mug is that it is not even listed on Oogamooga.com, can't find any other examples or pictures of it. There are two other varities of it on the website and it is seemingly quite rare.

I'll probably use the glasses and mug tonite to bring in the New Year.

And a toast to Tnet members, wishing you a happy, healthy and excellent treasure hunting for the New Year.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pieces! I picked up a Bohemian ruby compote recently but it doesn't compare to your pieces. BTW- glass number 2 shows an old coat of arms for Hungary.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if I would call that a "tiki" mug because it doesn't have any of the Hawaiian/Polynesian tiki imagery such as the ones shown below:

tiki_set_zm.jpg

That being said, it is still a cool mug and might have some good value. The fact that the hotel it came from is identified might help a lot. I bought a group of tiki mugs at an auction several months ago. Six of them were from a Hawaiian themed hotel/bar in Tampa, Florida (Hawaiian Village) and had a panel similar to the one on your mug that identified the hotel the mug came from. I sold those mugs on eBay and they brought prices between $50 - $200 each! In doing my research I discovered that mugs with hotel/bar labels sold for MUCH higher prices than mugs without the ID label.

I believe the hotel your mug came from is one of the vanishing Catskill Mountain "borscht belt" resorts that were once very popular. There is a Facebook page for what I believe is the hotel this mug came from here: https://www.facebook.com/TheMotelontheMountain/. I haven't done any research but I have a strong hunch items like your mug from these old Catskill resorts are very collectible.

There is also an article about this hotel from 1983 in the New York Times which can be viewed here: http://www.nytimes.com/1983/06/12/realestate/postings-new-life-for-motel.html. That article indicates the hotel was opened in the late 1950s but was closed in 1978.

Nice find on all your stuff!

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I would call that a "tiki" mug because it doesn't have any of the Hawaiian/Polynesian tiki imagery such as the ones shown below:

View attachment 1256946

Nice find on all your stuff!
Though technically it was a Japanese themed restaurant and motel, I think you can still call it a Tiki mug, mainly because of the coconut shape, also the company that made it, the Otagiri Mercantile Company made literally 100's of designs of Tiki mugs for many restaurants and bars. I'm thinking they had a bar area somewhere in the restaurant that may have used these or maybe they were used for specialty drinks on the menu. The interior of the place shows traditional table settings. There is one from the same restaurant listed on ooga-mooga, same depiction of a Geisha girl just different glass type.

121717.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mug caught my eye because of its coconut shape and secondly the name of the motel and restaurant. The first mug that I found was for the Hawaiian Room at the Lexington Hotel in NYC circa the 50's. When I saw what it sold for I was hooked on picking them up.

To me it's lack of Polynesian/Hawaiian influence is not important as a collectible. It is still an exotic theme like Tiki restaurants are. But this one might be a keeper. As a child during the summer my parents would vacation in the Catskills. Before the New York State Thruway expressway to the mountains was built my parents used Rte 17. They would stop at the Red Apple Rest in Tuxedo NY.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Apple_Rest

As we would pass signs for the Motel on the Mountain I knew it would not be long before getting out of the car. Back in those days the 100 mile trip could take at least 3-4 hours.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Though technically it was a Japanese themed restaurant and motel, I think you can still call it a Tiki mug, mainly because of the coconut shape, also the company that made it, the Otagiri Mercantile Company made literally 100's of designs of Tiki mugs for many restaurants and bars.

I suppose you're right. The definition of "tiki mug" is rather flexible. Here are pics of the tiki mugs I bought:

DSC05671.JPG DSC05672.JPG

The three on the left are the Hawaiian Village mugs. I had two each of all three of these. Those three were all made by Otagiri. The others were not. Mugs 1 and 3 don't exactly have the traditional tiki image either. Mug #1 sold for about $50, #2 for about $200, and #3 for about $100. I guess #2 is pretty rare and it is the only one with a real "tiki" image. The others are probably worth about $5 - $10 each.

Not to hijack the thread but, speaking of tiki mugs, a couple of weeks ago I picked up these for $0.50 each:

DSC06765.JPG

They are made by an outfit called Chiki Tiki. They aren't worth a whole lot but, at that price, I couldn't resist. /hijack

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread