Possible Ivory Haul? Everything appears to check out

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a few local yard sales this morning and ran across a guy clearing out his moms stuff. There was lots of costume/gold filled but little else. As everybody grabbed the shiny stuff, I looked at the bag of "celluloid"

I'm not an expert on ivory and have only seen it in person when I visit the antique shops in cape cod so my knowledge is very limited for identifying purposes. So far, this stuff check out. It's hard and cold to the touch. It sounds hard when tapped on the counter and will not take a red hot pin. It also has the cross hatch pattern that indicates Ivory and not bone/celluloid.

Can anybody else provide some more info or ways to prove this is Ivory and not something else?

The tie tack is 14k (2.15g) and the compote lid is Birmingham Sterling (21.61g)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 120

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bangles look good to me. Hard to tell on other pieces with photos you have, but since bangles look good high probability other pieces are too.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say it takes a red hot pin does it have a smell to it? I was taught it should burn it and it'll smell like burned hair. So far it's worked for me on the pieces I've acquired. What kind of grain do you see on the feet of the elephants? Ever way it goes you've got some nice pieces there!!!

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get some better pictures later this afternoon and go over all pieces with a 16x loupe to see any more detail

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a few more of the bangles and they seem to check out. The other don't match colorwise so they could be so,etching different or from another time.

I think the rings are as well but I'll get photos of them later when I have better sunlight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 112

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would expect some color toning or darkening with old ivory. The bead necklace I picked up a few months ago is darkened yellow. The bangles look good to me. Can't tell on the other pieces either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread