2 Japanese time boats and tin buses - one British airways

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up all 4 for $5 this morning. The one boat still has 3000 yen sticker on it. There were others, should have grabbed them too. Could not find these exact ones on eBay but saw similar ones. I think I did pretty well, let me know what you think.

bill

IMG_20160206_110602.jpg
IMG_20160206_110615.jpg
IMG_20160206_110628.jpg
IMG_20160206_111001.jpg

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a boat kind of like that. It was one of my favorite tub toys, but I'm not so sure yours is all that old. I have a suspicion both the boat and bus are re-pops. I've been seeing stuff like these in the flea markets here and there over the last few years. To me the sticker is not a good sign of a vintage piece either. Could you sell them for more then you gave on eBay? I'd say it's possible, but would only describe them as tin toys and nothing else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tamrock! I was starting to think the same thing last night. The BA bus is especially clean. Also the bottom is plastic and does not have a scratch. For $5 I will chalk it up to a learning experience. Thanks!

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The boats might actually be old. The lithographing has that faded look that modern repops don't get They look like 1950's japan pop pop boats. They use candles to go. Obviously, the better the condition, the more they are worth. If you have one in great shape with box, your looking at $20-$30. The boat with the sticker on the bottom looks in good shape, and if it still works with a candle, I could see $5-$10 just for that one. The buses, they probably are newer and maybe worth........$1 a piece!!!
But yeah, you probably should have grabbed the other ones, because tin toys are doing good now.
Anyways... try to give the boats a light cleaning with a damp cloth. That will make sure no rust or crazing occurs.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for info Kevardini. I'd never heard of pop pop boats. Watched a YouTube video about them they are cool. They do look old and have some rust spots. Seems like a lot of effort to fake something worth $5-10. I think they are old. The buses on the other hand look are reproductions like Tamrock said.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have one in great shape with box, your looking at $20-$30.
Last year i sold a pop pop for about $20 if i remember correctly. It was very new looking with a box.

I always wonder what they sold for. ¥3000 is about $26 today
I doubt that is the original price in the 50's I would guess brand new only ¥200-300
That was probably found in a Japanese antique store.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread