Want a Bicycle Helmet or Two? How about 100?!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that was the offer extended to me today from a local acquaintance. I was at my storage unit picking up some recent eBay sold items when the gentleman stopped me and asked if I was interested in bicycle helmets. I followed him over to his unit and saw, neatly lined up along one wall, 100+ vintage 1980's bicycle helmets, brand new, in their original boxes! Now, I know with safety standards ever-evolving as they do that these probably aren't up to snuff, but there does seem to be a market for vintage cycling gear nonetheless. It won't take much to recoup my investment - 142 helmets set me back $150. The brand was apparently pretty well-respected back in the 1980's. I think I did good. :-D
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457742051.064062.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457742593.708941.jpg

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those would be easy to list individually. Shipping even better, being each is all boxed up. $20 bucks each would sure be a good return.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, easy. A few different models, so just a few listings with multiples available. To start, i'm going to put one or two online with a high buy-it-now to see if I get any bites. After a week or two, I'll probably drop the price down to a more attainable $20 range, and set the listing as 'good until canceled'.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep us updated. I am curious how it goes

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a place to store it all?

Right now they're stacked in my garage. I maintain two full time 10' x 20' storage units at $80 each per month, but they're pretty much at capacity and I'm not in a hurry to take on another. I'll update this thread if I have any luck - all quiet so far. Thanks!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
You buy like I buy. Very nice purchase. My plan is to recoup investment quickly and then let the rest ride as long as it takes. Nice to have things selling consistently month after month.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, one down, one hundred forty-one to go! Sold the first for $49.95 with free shipping. That puts me 1/3 of the way towards recouping my initial investment. I love this hobby!

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I have that many of one item I will usually list an auction for two of the item at a discount. Maybe 2 for $89.99 or something like that. I love finding items like that. Congrats on a great pick up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread