austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Think it's a very old weathervane , made to spin and follow wind direction. Fish shaped and probably painted in bright colors. Dates 1750-1850. I would need to see it to verify. Had one years ago in our antique store. That of course is just my opinion... Possibility that it is a fake, just can't tell. You have posted here forever. Think it's fake? I don't...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a government representation of the "mothership"?

Don't know what it is.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I think:

The top part (pictured) might be original but I don't know how old or intended purpose. The wood is cracked due to years of weather exposure. The paint is flaking and peeling and I see some gray underneath.

I believe it has been mounted to a cheap modern base to be used as a display piece. The fact that the base is not old leads me to think that the rest of the piece may either be modern and constructed as one or the base was added to the top later for display?

I still think the whole thing could be relatively modern and simply left outdoors its whole life which made the wood appear aged.

Attached more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 171

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Think it's a very old weathervane , made to spin and follow wind direction. Fish shaped and probably painted in bright colors. Dates 1750-1850. I would need to see it to verify. Had one years ago in our antique store. That of course is just my opinion... Possibility that it is a fake, just can't tell. You have posted here forever. Think it's fake? I don't...

I doubt it is a weather vane. In order for the wind to move a weather vane, the vane needs to be relatively light with a flat surface. If this piece is made of heavy hardwood, it would be very difficult for wind to move it. This might be true even if it is made of a relatively light wood like pine. Just my opinion...

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think:

The top part (pictured) might be original but I don't know how old or intended purpose. The wood is cracked due to years of weather exposure. The paint is flaking and peeling and I see some gray underneath.

I believe it has been mounted to a cheap modern base to be used as a display piece. The fact that the base is not old leads me to think that the rest of the piece may either be modern and constructed as one or the base was added to the top later for display?

I still think the whole thing could be relatively modern and simply left outdoors its whole life which made the wood appear aged.

Attached more pics.

Did you try tasting some of the paint chips? If you get a distinct taste of lead, it should be somewhat on the older side. All joking aside, you could get a lead paint test kit. Since the paint was phased in the 1960s, it might give you an idea of the age. Try digging down to the color directly in contact with the wood. If its lead based, it should be pretty old. I don't think foreign countries could fake that.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hasn't been all that long since China was using lead paint. They probably still are for all we know.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I though whale, but the tail is wrong. Looks old, though, like honest patina.
I like the look of it and thought the same of the aging on it. Hard to tell from a photo though, nowadays they can artificially age about anything. I've searched high and low and can't find another match. You would think there is another one somewhere if mass produced, even if the aging is aftermarket.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a yard sale today and guess what?

I saw your piece or one just like it, minus the flaking paint.
It had a Big Lots sticker on the bottom of it.
Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the bottom but I did get a photo of the fish-

CAM00577 (1024x417).jpg CAM00578 (1024x767).jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did say Pier 1 right, high priced pieces. if they don't sell who gets them? Big Lots.
looks very old (not the base) but there are people in 3rd world countries that all they do is "antique" things.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I will probably sell it at my yearly yard sale for whatever I can get for it. I do this at least once per year to make space and free up some cash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions