Marked 14k, what do you think?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20160429_203655770.jpg

It looks worn...the stamping (not etching) is worn down and there are nicks and signs of wear on the chain...I am not seeing any discoloration or other colors.

It only says 14k, no mm.

I know it's not the best picture, but it shows the clasp and maybe some presumptions can be made based on quality of design.

I'll try and get a test kit tomorrow am...any recommendations on a local place to get it (jewelry store)?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hobby Lobby if you have one near you, or just order one from Amazon or where ever on-line.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to guess, by picture? It looks good!

But I have seen both styles.

To test you have to file deep! Heavy plated stuff will show up as good, with acid just on the surface! Some bigger jewelry stores that make jewelry, have a machine they can test without filing! Some gold buying places too.

All I'm saying is testing can show good, if not filed deep!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you file a huge gash into the thing and prevent any reselling of it unless you have a jeweler cut off the link a soldier another one, I would try couple things one. Try a magnet. The clasp might stick because the spring is steel but if the chain part you want to test. The clasp should be marked 14 K on the part that opens up where you slide the other end into it as well. Unless it's an older piece then that probably won't apply. It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks pretty good.

OP
OP
GlenDronach

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I think it was real but I chose to pass. My knowledge is just enough to be dangerous. It was 400 for 550 worth of gold. The margins weren't enough for me to risk it.

I'll learn more and get some testing supplies.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made a good decision. When in doubt don't buy especially if the price is close to melt value. For those being sold for two dollars or $10 buy, buy, buy when in doubt because you a only a little to lose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread