SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI measurements are at least 48" x 30", and they are asking $700 at this estate sale. However, I don't believe they had it professionally appraised - I think they are taking a stab in the dark based on the painting's obvious age. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can only find this:
"Updated on 30 Apr 2016: Cyril KUTLÍK (1869-1900) is an artist born in 1869 The oldest artwork ever registered on the website for this artist is a painting sold in 2012, at Soga, and the most recent artwork is a painting sold in 2012. Artprice.com's price levels for this artist are based on 1 auction results."
Good luck on the bidding,
Don.......

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info! Looks like they are right in the ballpark pricewise. I really appreciate it. I was going to take a chance on it, but then I would've been one of those dejected fellas you see at the end of an Antiques Roadshow episode.

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one that sold for 500 Euros in Slovakia. I would pick it up on half price day, if they have a half price day.

Auk?ná spolo?nos? SOGA spol. s r.o. - Diela/Pri piecke - aukcie, diela, výtvarné diela, umenie, obrazy, staro?itnosti, online aukcie, umelci

EDIT: the 500 Euro price was the starting bid. The one you're looking at is a far better piece in my opinion. Might double your money at best?

EDIT 2: The highest price this artists works achieved at auction was 1062.21 euros in the year 2000. It measured 45cm x 33cm.

Last edited:

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It strikes me as an artist you would have to sell in a european market to get a better price.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the input. I hung around the estate sale for 2+ hours just hovering near the painting, but decided to pass on it for today. The woman running the sale said that she doesn't do a 50% price reduction tomorrow - she gives you her best price today. Still, I found $700 too high for my comfort zone, but I did leave my phone number just in case. Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subject matter is everything. I would pass it would be almost impossible to sell unless you have some Goth or disturbed clients.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not Goth or weird but I do like the painting.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a voicemail from the estate sale company saying that they were ready to wrap up the sale for the weekend and I could have the painting for $500. I declined. I hope I'm not kicking myself down the road if it turns up at auction for a high price, but $500 is still a little rich for my blood. Thank you to all who contributed with the helpful information. Much appreciated.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the macabre subject matter would help make this an easier sell myself. That is what makes it special. Strange, weird, macabre and unusual always sells well. I thought I taught you people better than that! lol

Some more on the artist (translated)- https://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_Kutlík

Cyril Kutlík (* 29. March 1869 Křížlice - † 4. April 1900 in Belgrade ) was a Slovak painter and illustrator , art teacher and founder of the first school of painting in Belgrade. A representative of historicism , realism and portraiture. He also worked on illustrations national calendar and is one of the first authors of artistic postcards in Slovakia.
Biography [ edit | edit source ]
Kutlík Cyril was born in 1869 in Krizlice . Attended grammar school in Hradec Králové . In 1885 he goes to the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague , where he led the professors Antonín Lhota, František Sequens and Maximilian Pirner. Prague He graduated in 1891 painting Hus last moments of freedom that has been exposed to the General Provincial Exhibition. Year 1891 he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and worked mainly on painting portraits and other contracts. In the period 1893 - 1895 he is healed in South Tyrol tuberculosis. During his studies in Prague, in 1887 , he traveled to Belgrade for the celebrations dedicated to Vuk Karadzic and saw that Belgrade has no school of painting. The idea to establish a school of painting in it matured for longer, and in July 1895 he went to Belgrade. Serbian draftsmanship and painting school opened Kutlík 5. 9. 1895 street Kosančićev venac (in the building, which later housed the National Library of Serbia and which was destroyed in 1941 during the bombing of Belgrade). Kutlíkova school every year existence progressed. It consisted of the Department for those interested in professional painting, of course craftsmen and the rate for women. (At that time, ie. More or Painter's Academy in Munich is not separated for women.)
Kutlíková the students were later known Serbian artists as Nadezda Petrovic , Borivoje Stevanovic , Dragomir Glišić , Ljubomir Ivanović and representatives of the so-called. Serbian impressionism Kosta Miličević and Milan Milovanovic . In 1900 it was Kutlíková work presented at the World Exhibition in Paris. This triumph did not live already and is buried in Belgrade. After death, he took Kutlíkova school Serbian painter Rista Vukanović , after a pause during the first World War in 1919 the school was restored, as a state and its foundations were built and the Serbian Academy of Arts from 1937 .
Kutlíková work consists of historical paintings, portraits, religious and allegorical compositions of genre themes and to a lesser extent, landscapes and still lifes. He devoted himself also illustrations, especially for the Czech and Slovak national church periodicals and calendars. He created header magazines in the Czech Republic and Serbia. Postcards with his proposal to send in Prague, Belgrade and Ruzomberok.

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the macabre subject matter would help make this an easier sell myself. That is what makes it special. Strange, weird, macabre and unusual always sells well. I thought I taught you people better than that! lol

Some more on the artist (translated)- https://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_Kutlík

Cyril Kutlík (* 29. March 1869 Křížlice - † 4. April 1900 in Belgrade ) was a Slovak painter and illustrator , art teacher and founder of the first school of painting in Belgrade. A representative of historicism , realism and portraiture. He also worked on illustrations national calendar and is one of the first authors of artistic postcards in Slovakia.
Biography [ edit | edit source ]
Kutlík Cyril was born in 1869 in Krizlice . Attended grammar school in Hradec Králové . In 1885 he goes to the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague , where he led the professors Antonín Lhota, František Sequens and Maximilian Pirner. Prague He graduated in 1891 painting Hus last moments of freedom that has been exposed to the General Provincial Exhibition. Year 1891 he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and worked mainly on painting portraits and other contracts. In the period 1893 - 1895 he is healed in South Tyrol tuberculosis. During his studies in Prague, in 1887 , he traveled to Belgrade for the celebrations dedicated to Vuk Karadzic and saw that Belgrade has no school of painting. The idea to establish a school of painting in it matured for longer, and in July 1895 he went to Belgrade. Serbian draftsmanship and painting school opened Kutlík 5. 9. 1895 street Kosančićev venac (in the building, which later housed the National Library of Serbia and which was destroyed in 1941 during the bombing of Belgrade). Kutlíkova school every year existence progressed. It consisted of the Department for those interested in professional painting, of course craftsmen and the rate for women. (At that time, ie. More or Painter's Academy in Munich is not separated for women.)
Kutlíková the students were later known Serbian artists as Nadezda Petrovic , Borivoje Stevanovic , Dragomir Glišić , Ljubomir Ivanović and representatives of the so-called. Serbian impressionism Kosta Miličević and Milan Milovanovic . In 1900 it was Kutlíková work presented at the World Exhibition in Paris. This triumph did not live already and is buried in Belgrade. After death, he took Kutlíkova school Serbian painter Rista Vukanović , after a pause during the first World War in 1919 the school was restored, as a state and its foundations were built and the Serbian Academy of Arts from 1937 .
Kutlíková work consists of historical paintings, portraits, religious and allegorical compositions of genre themes and to a lesser extent, landscapes and still lifes. He devoted himself also illustrations, especially for the Czech and Slovak national church periodicals and calendars. He created header magazines in the Czech Republic and Serbia. Postcards with his proposal to send in Prague, Belgrade and Ruzomberok.

+1 strange, weird and unusual always sells, doesn't have to be Picasso.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions