billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following the Friday the 13th good luck finds, the next day, "Saturday The 14th", I stumbled upon a silver mine of more Silver Holloware...... I can't seem to find this silversmith's pattern name, even with the number stamped on the bottom. Here's yesterday's adventure....

It was at a community sale. We were early, so we started in the back streets of the housing addition. The people had moved in less than six months ago and had an interesting amount of things at the end of their drive way. When my wife and I are early, we remember to always ask, "MAY we come look?" Most sellers appreciate being asked before strangers invade their property.

The late 50's couple were busy and the Mister was using his pickup to load from the garage door and simply let it roll down the slanted driveway to the tables at the end. When you do that, just remember the power brakes are not Power Brakes if the motor's not running, so it takes much more push on the brake pedal. After a skip or two of my heartbeat, he did stop the truck before splitting apart the long plastic tables that were angled inward and a like event normally seen in the local bowling alley's "Big 4 Split"... Following that moment of excitement, the nice lady said, "Well that was close!" as she pointed back to the garage and continued, "There's a few more boxes of things just inside the garage door. Ya'll can go on up there and look. It's probably safer up there..."

One other buyer, apparently a young mother, was in an even dead heat to get to the garage at the same time. As we dug through the boxes, she said she was looking for young children's clothing as my hands opened the last box. A large 20"x20" by 16" deep box had yellowed crinkled newspaper sticking out the folded box top. Inside, it was more pressed and molded over the exposed edges of metal pans.... She walked toward the now arriving garage sale lady asking about children's clothing and shoes....Whew! As they talked, I dug.

The first piece was an eye-catching squatter than normal silver teapot. I quickly cleared the yellow newspaper away and turned it over to see the bottom.... The bottom was fairly clear of black oxidation and the first word I saw was "Sterling". Suddenly, the air became thin and my chest felt heavy. The next thing I unwrapped was another teapot. Same design, but larger and the word: "Sterling". The air was even thinner and now an 80lb. bag of Maximizer concrete mix weighted on top of my chest. The owner lady came over, so I managed to ask, "What would you take for the whole box?"

She paused. Then she said, "I'll take 80 dollars."...

Now, not knowing what else might or might not be in there, I stayed kneeled on what was now one numb kneecap and said, "I don't know how much or what pieces of silver plate are in there. Would you take $60 dollars?"

An even longer pause she took, and I caught myself realizing I hadn't breathed since I ended my offer. She said firmly, "I have to have $65 dollars for the whole box!"

My mind raced with the background sound of the "Bionic Man", then I inhaled as I slowly raised my knee off the floor to stand up with the creaking and popping sounds of a "67 year OLD Man" and reached for my wallet. I thanked her as I handed her the money and paid her. As the correct change passed between hands, I felt a rush of Adrenalin. My heartbeat would have gotten a speeding ticket on the Autobahn!

Rearranging the metal pieces I scooped up the large dusty and dry box. It was inwardly funny to remember how quiet the three $20 dollar bills and one $5 dollar bill were passing between hands compared to the now clanking, rustling, and rattling noise come from inside this bulky box all the way down the steep driveway!

Spread out on a table after getting home, all the pieces in the front row photo are made by "Bailey, Banks, and Biddle". The front row is solid Sterling. One teapot is stamped "Two Pints", and weighs 14.89 troy ounces, the other teapot is stamped "Three Pints" and weighs 23.87 oz.t. The pics show the rest of the weights. Behind the front row are rows of Weighted Sterling.

It's been a great Spring season for Garage Sales, but it appears as if my "Overhead Costs" are going up.... If it gets any better, I guess I'm going to have buy a "Life Alert" tag necklace, portable Oxygen tank, and a portable De-Fib machine.:tongue3:

Bill

Attachments

• garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 019.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 019.JPG
    604.1 KB · Views: 129
  • garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 018.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 018.JPG
    612.1 KB · Views: 127
  • garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 014.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 014.JPG
    510.2 KB · Views: 125
  • May 14, 16, Saturday Community Sale Find 007.JPG
    May 14, 16, Saturday Community Sale Find 007.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 118
  • May 14, 16, Saturday Community Sale Find 001.JPG
    May 14, 16, Saturday Community Sale Find 001.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 117
  • May 14, 16, Saturday Community Sale Find 005.JPG
    May 14, 16, Saturday Community Sale Find 005.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 120
  • May 14, 16, Saturday Community Sale Find 006.JPG
    May 14, 16, Saturday Community Sale Find 006.JPG
    537.9 KB · Views: 125
  • garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 017.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 017.JPG
    544.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowowow that's a lot of silver!! I would say more value over melt as well! I'm lazy right now can you give us a total weight of sterling in grams? Get to polishing!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, just to clarify, did ALL that silver come out of that box?! Or is that the results of your successful Spring season? Either way, unreal! My hat's off to you sir.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, just to clarify, did ALL that silver come out of that box?! Or is that the results of your successful Spring season? Either way, unreal! My hat's off to you sir.

All the silver plate and the sterling came out of the same box, and the whole box for $65. Some things were packed flat and inside each other, but it was like a dream as I pulled and unwrapped each piece. It was kinda funny as there were some rags used as packing and one fell out in the garage as I was getting into the box. It was the first of 2 pair of old "Fruit of the Looms" underwear. I'd placed the silver plate pieces back into the old box to help get them outside in a single trip for some bright sunshine and the pics. I carried the sterling pieces in pairs to the outside table to keep them as scratch free as I could. When I taking the pics, I re-wrapped and repacked the silver plate in the same box, it was barely half full. I packed the Sterling in a heavier, new Uhaul moving box about the same size, and it, too, was barely half full.

I thought it very interesting that the real silver was so clear of oxidation while the silver plate was the darkest. I looked at the newspaper packing; it had a date of 2012, so they've not been packed in the cheesy original cardboard box all that long. On one of the short, but wide, candlestick weighted silver pieces, the heavy filler was found in the bottom of the cardboard box, in several small pieces and one large lump. The matching candlestick holder is almost soot black. It appears that maybe somebody had a small propane torch and tried to melt the reddish weight substance... I can tell you that scrapping weighted Sterling can be a sticky mess when other substances are used instead of good old Plaster of Paris or concrete! Heating the heavy sticky filler makes it even worse to remove. Plus, I tried to wash it off with a soft bristle brush and gasoline, but that didn't work very well either. Finally, I took my Maap gas torch and just burned the stuff away, the rewashed the pile of thin Sterling with soap and water to get rid of the gasoline and burned odors.

Bill

Attachments

• garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 011.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 011.JPG
    549.9 KB · Views: 108
  • garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 012.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 012.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowowow that's a lot of silver!! I would say more value over melt as well! I'm lazy right now can you give us a total weight of sterling in grams? Get to polishing!

Use this site to help show you how much your finds are in Toz of Sterling or pure silver:

Ultrafast Live Scrap Gold Calculator [USD] from Dendritics

4,882.70 Grams, just in solid sterling items found last Friday and Saturday mornings, not counting the thinner silver on the weighted sterling.

Bill

Last edited:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can be said of such an awesome find? UNFRIGGIN BELIEVABLE!!
You lucky dog.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm guessing you ain't from around here. You find silver, all I find is kid's clothes, broken toys and cheap furniture, I know where you can get a Selena picture cheap...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jumping Jehosaphat Batman! If it were me, I'd sell the plated stuff to make my money back and hoard the rest. But then I'm a firm believer that silver will rise again (significantly) sometime in the next 10 years. Epic score, congrats! :notworthy:

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing you ain't from around here. You find silver, all I find is kid's clothes, broken toys and cheap furniture

I think Bill is getting to the sales a little earlier than you lol. Seriously though what an amazing pile of silver for just $65!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread