Everybody Was Avoiding This Clock Like It Had Cooties!

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was the third weekend of an estate sale with people all over the place. This clock (lecoultre) made it through all of it until I picked it up and paid $20. It was in plain view the entire time. It's amazing how easy it can be sometimes! This clock should pull $500-$1000. It runs perfectly and has an achievement tag on it, from 1967. The tags seam to add value for some odd reason. Usually personalized items can be tricky. Have fun out there everyone, the stuff is still out there!

Attachments

• IMG_20160516_052612.jpg
    IMG_20160516_052612.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 171

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah, everybody's an expert till the sales are over. Good eye and great luck. People are funny aren't they. No Harry, that's a modern worthless clock and we want antiques...

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha - I even pulled up late....By three weeks essentially, but 8:30am that day. The achievement tag indicates this clock was made in or before 1967

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beautiful clock! I picked up one for 50.00 that was an early 1980s mfg that i ended up keeping since i liked it so much. Are you familiar with how they stay running without being wound? Once i learned how they work, i decided it couldn't be sold due to the novelty of the clock.

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beautiful clock! I picked up one for 50.00 that was an early 1980s mfg that i ended up keeping since i liked it so much. Are you familiar with how they stay running without being wound? Once i learned how they work, i decided it couldn't be sold due to the novelty of the clock.
Yes, but at first I was stumped. I placed in on a level table, unlocked it, and it's been running ever since (Saturday) The weight does semi rotations to the left and to the right. It's a fascinating timepiece and I don't think it will see ebay any time soon!

Last edited:

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unbelievable buy on the atmos clock. yours looks to be in excellent condition. I have 2 and absolutely love them. they cost around 6k new and the swiss government hands them out to visiting dignitaries as gifts.

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jochart - There is two small pieces of scotch tape than need to be removed that held a piece of paper with "Clock" written on it. I will do that sometime soon. I am surprised that the Atmos clocks with an achievement tag on them look to be as valuable, if not more, than the clocks that are untagged.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice clock. People may have thought it was a cheap reproduction. I always pick up a clock even when I can tell it is plastic just to make sure.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but at first I was stumped. I placed in on a level table, unlocked it, and it's been running ever since (Saturday) The weight does semi rotations to the left and to the right. It's a fascinating timepiece and I don't think it will see ebay any time soon!

Yes, the balanced weight moves the train to keep time but the clocks name betrays its mechanism for winding. There is a gas charged, accordion shaped bellows inside the big round disc in the back of the clock. Attched to that is a chain that will wind the mainspring. A (1) degree change (+/-) in temperature will cause the the bellows to expand and contract which will wind the clock.

If you decide to sell the clock, make sure its running properly. Level it in a den or living room, where the temp changes will be less drastic then a smaller bedroom, and let it run for at least a month. Check with a digital watch and see how accurate the timekeeping is. If it has to be "recharged" the service can run upwards of 150.00

The "Atmos" name refers to atmosphere. A change in pressure (temp) will cause the bellows to expand contract, thus winding the clock.

Last edited:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the balanced weight moves the train to keep time but the clocks name betrays its mechanism for winding. There is a gas charged, accordion shaped bellows inside the big round disc in the back of the clock. Attched to that is a chain that will wind the mainspring. A (1) degree change (+/-) in temperature will cause the the bellows to expand and contract which will wind the clock.

If you decide to sell the clock, make sure its running properly. Level it in a den or living room, where the temp changes will be less drastic then a smaller bedroom, and let it run for at least a month. Check with a digital watch and see how accurate the timekeeping is. If it has to be "recharged" the service can run upwards of 150.00

The "Atmos" name refers to atmosphere. A change in pressure (temp) will cause the bellows to expand contract, thus winding the clock.

I think that the average person equates this type of clock to the low cost, 1950's+ Kundo Anniversary Clock that was wound once a year and had 4 balls that rotate like the Atmos solid rim wheel-pendulum.

I found one with a serial number in 91,000, and made in the mid 1950's. Mine doesn't run, but everything is present, including the original tall cardboard shipping box with its paper label in its lid. I wish I could get it fixed. The lowest repair cost I found on the net was based around a "firm" $500 for cleaning, filling the bellow chamber, and reassembly, plus up to $250 more for any needed replacement parts.... Do you remember where the clock smith's business is that might do the repairs for close to that $150 amount?

Thanks,
Bill

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the average person equates this type of clock to the low cost, 1950's+ Kundo Anniversary Clock that was wound once a year and had 4 balls that rotate like the Atmos solid rim wheel-pendulum.

I found one with a serial number in 91,000, and made in the mid 1950's. Mine doesn't run, but everything is present, including the original tall cardboard shipping box with its paper label in its lid. I wish I could get it fixed. The lowest repair cost I found on the net was based around a "firm" $500 for cleaning, filling the bellow chamber, and reassembly, plus up to $250 more for any needed replacement parts.... Do you remember where the clock smith's business is that might do the repairs for close to that $150 amount?

Thanks,
Bill

atmosman.com was where i looked but it was years ago. His recharge fee is 200.00 so i was a bit off when i said 150.00 If anything, its a good place to research possible problems with your clock and see where it gets you.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Can't believe it lasted that long. Great buy.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime I see a clock that resembles that, I pick it up. Unfortunately so far they have all been cheap plastic. I learned about those clocks right here on this forum, several years ago!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread