Anyone find this irritating?

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Went out this morning and found a decent Bering watch, maybe a yellow necklace (need to use the loupe when I get back home), and a handful of sterling. At one of the sales I was looking at the jewelry and someone grabbed everything that was gold colored and went to there own corner to look through it. I'm sure this has happened to a few of you. I can't decide how irritating this actually is. Any thoughts?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early bird gets the worm and the fastest sparrow gets the french fry I've observed at the MacDonald's parking lot. It's just the nature of man and beast I'm guessing.

Last edited:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had it happen to me looking in a box of books. Yeah, it pissed me off. I didn't say anything. I hate rude people.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early bird gets the worm and the fastest sparrow gets the french fry I've observed at the MacDonald's parking lot. It's just the nature of man and beast I'm guessing.

I like playing the beast part. I'm 6'3" and go about 275lbs. I'll give someone a look that says: " Take something from me and I will eat you for breakfast and then s@&# you out into a useless pile when I see fit"!! That usually works. Occasionally I'll get the rude s.o.b. who just doesn't care. At that point I just let it go. I know........... I'm a kinder gentler beast. I do hate rude people though.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens at the TS a lot. They will bring out a rack of stuff and people grab what they can then look at what it is. I will do that if the right people around just to push them out and I am tall so I just reach over them and get what I want. Now if it is those normal people and they are looking not grabbing I will wait my turn.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I carry my pistol in plain view...

Picasimus

Apr 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Captain Flintlock. 6'1" 245. I don't take S#!t from anyone. I'm the oldest of 7. I can get loud, cause a scene and get violent with the best of them!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
6'5 235

I was at an estate sale. I was in a pretty small corner looking at some books. A woman started trying to push her way behind me to get into the 6 square inches of floor space I was not occupying in that corner. She said, "excuse me," when she couldn't get in.

I said, "No problem." and went back to my books (leaving no space for her because I was still looking through the books).

She pushed again and said, "Excuse ME."

I stood my ground, "Still no problem."

She pushed again and said, "Excuse me. I would like to look at those books."

I said, "Well, I'll be finished in a minute."

She pushed again and said, "Could I please get in there?"

I said, "No, you can come in here once I am finished in here, and if you grope me again, I am going to scream rape."

Now, as I said, I am 6'5" 235, shaved head with a beard... she was 5'0", maybe 74 pounds, and 75 years. She looks at me with her mouth open... and then walks away... I did find one nice book in there, but they wanted too much for it ($5 for a book on Amazon for $20... I offered $2, they declined).

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't mind people coming up and asking (politely) if they can look also, but when it comes to rude people - Zero Tolerance!!

OP
OP
J

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
The guy next to me was really ticked off. He turned to me and goes "there is nothing left to look at" after the other guy and his wife grabbed it all. I found a couple of sterling Navajo cuff bracelets and said loudly "No they didnt". I also found it odd that he was looking at every single .25 and .50 cent piece of jewelry through a loop. Why waste the time? If you have been doing this for awhile you can usually tell pretty quickly what is or is not sterling or gold.

In other news the necklace turned out to be a 14K gold briolette ruby necklace.

Attachments

• IMG_9662[1].JPG
    IMG_9662[1].JPG
    993.7 KB · Views: 125

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you described is the norm here, if all of it is in a box or tray it is common practice to grab the whole box and then go through it. People are real aggressive here, not all of them but most, jewelry and PM's are the the first thing that goes. Good Luck!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better yet just grab the whole box and ask the seller how much they want for the whole thing. Don't give them the chance to pick out stuff. Grab it and run!!

There's so much out there though. little bit here and there.. You're going to make up for it the next day or the next sale. You just never know!

I went today to a yard sale at 2:30. Got a whole bunch of silver coins and a gold earring. The earring was sitting on the table... been there since 8 AM. If it's meant to be you'll get it!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...I guess it's a lot like wild animals; like maybe a pack of wolves. If the pack is small, there's ample food to go around, so little if any fighting. When the pack gets larger, there are more fights for the scraps that can be had. ...We're just 2-legged animals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread