tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I took close to 500 grams of scrap sterling to a buyer who has a lot of jewelry to view. I made a deal for this ring and he gave me also $170 all cash, no check. I talked over the ring with the seller, saying the setting's the diamonds are in are set in look like sterling to me and he said it should be white gold. I could clearly see silver oxidation on the very dirty at the time diamond settings and so he put it on his tester touching one end of the diamond setting on the plate and touched the other end with the prob and the needle barely moved, but the lower gold part jumped actually above the 18K mark. He said I guess your right on the settings part. I said that's fine I like the ring and setting stones in silver could mean it's pretty old. The cut of the stones though had me in doubt of it being really to old as they are more of a modern cut imo. Anyways it's got a mark of JG on it. One of the jewelers with a JG mark I'm finding is a jeweler named Jack Gutschneider from NY, I believe. I do find a few some examples of this Jack Gutschneider's work and I believe I see some similarities in what I see in this ring to other pieces online. The emeralds do look genuine also with the right type of inclusions and all. They are not crystal clear as a simulated stone would be, plus the small diamonds are real as seller does have a top notch diamond tester. I'm betting on this being a good deal as I had only about $58.00 total in on the silver I traded. I'm hoping I came out well, but I would like to get top dollar out of this ring, so any added info is going to help on selling it as, a known maker's can take the price higher.

Attachments

• emerald ring 1.jpg
    emerald ring 1.jpg
    886.7 KB · Views: 342
  • emerald ring 2.jpg
    emerald ring 2.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 309
  • emerald ring 3.jpg
    emerald ring 3.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 342

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tamrock,

At $58 dollars out of pocket pretty hard to loose in my opinion.

Regards + HH

Bill

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red says it Old 1890 to 1920 The workmanship is Beautiful

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no doubt in my mind that the gems are certainly real and they are very old. What's the carat of each of them? Whats the weight of the ring? With jewelry like this it's really hard to tell what the value is, maybe get it appraised? Would make it much easier to get top dollar out of it! For $58 you did quite well, although it might take some time to sell it for a good price, but in the end you should get more money than just selling the silver at scrap!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I dropped off over 550 grams of silver. It was 3 items that I posted here over the last few months on this forum I was lucky enough to find cheap in the thrift stores. I know I could have done a little better selling the silver outright, but this particular precious metals guy pays in cash and with all the new trust fund youngsters moving in the area, he's been picking up some nice vintage and popular brand jewelry. He never ask what most are really worth as he's got a move his inventory quickly. I did look at a men's vintage 14k Fortis wristwatch and a 18K white gold and enamel signed Hildaglio ring and this with the cash was the best deal imo. I may go back after the Fortis if it's still there. I've gotten some good silver from him also such as 3 Georg Jensen's and 3 Lois Hill pieces that netted me very well.

I don't know the carat weight of the main stones, but I'll get a measure in mm and total weight later, Spartcom.

Last edited:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful. You've got a good eye, and obviously lots of experience. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful. You've got a good eye, and obviously lots of experience. Thanks for sharing.
My wife gets my employment pay, but I do my dealings for my own stash by wheeling and dealing in this way. She often ask if something happens to me, how is she going to know what a treasure and whats just crap? I don't know how to explain it to her. I showed her the ring and she could not see anything special about it. It could be just costume jewelry in her eyes. These are the kind of things I hunt for. I'll buy some stuff out of antique shops, thrift store etc. just to get the cash for other things like this. Good old estate jewelry and other vintage items are what I put away with the trading of other things. It's so small and easy to keep here and there and unload when need be.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beautiful ring, Tamrock. Its similar to what my father in law purchased for his wife on their 30 year anniversary except hers has 3 sapphires set right on the band. If you plan on selling, she might want yours if you are willing to part with it.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red says it Old 1890 to 1920 The workmanship is Beautiful
That's the time frame I'm thinking also. But lean more toward the later decade of the 1920's era.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring! $170 cash plus that ring? You did great. That ring is worth the more than the scrap value on that silver by itself. I don't think it is a piece by Jack Gutschneider though. His trademark is JG JLRY. I believe this is older than his work, looks like early 1900's to me. Are those diamonds mine cut?

V1004x20Opalx20Brooch.8L.jpg

1960s-Gold-and-Diamond-Bracelet-3.jpg

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure Dig's. I'm not sure on the diamond cut's as they do have multi facets on the top that I can see. Maybe they could be called mine or old mine cut diamonds?. Later then rose cuts for sure. I was thinking it may be a Jack Gutschneider (pre) J.G JLRY mark, because of something I read O.L. was about a ring with just JG as this one has and the reply was it was a Jack Gutschneider piece of jewelry, but it offered no picture reference. Looking at other know photo's of JG pieces I started thinking I see similarities in this ring to some other JG pieces. Anyways I'd love to offer it as a piece of some known maker, as that does get the attention of some buyers. I'll have an old jeweler check it out, but I'm not paying for a full appraisal. This guy will give free opinions and I trust his assessment of these kind of things, as he's been a jeweler since shortly after the 2nd big war.

Luriya

Greenie
May 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread