Missed out on this Art!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
A buddy called and asked me about a painting selling for $600.00. I had heard of the artist but told him the price seemed high without seeing the picture. He sent me a pic and I fell in love. I can't spend the $600 but told him it was worth it simply to have and keep as the value increases. I was so intrigued and captivated by it, I left my job at lunch just to go see it and even see if the seller would work a deal. My buddy was interested but wanted to buy and sell it quick. He said she was only bringing it to folks she figured would be interested.
I get there, and look through her yard full of vintage items. Then I tell her that my buddy sent me and that I want to see the Roman Johnson painting. I didn't realize she was a loud talker. She says "The Roman Johnson! Your buddy sent you?! Ok." Then says loudly "Its an original! Stand here on the porch and I will bring it out to you." I stand on her porch and the door partially opens and this gloriously beautiful painting with bright blue skies starts appearing. My heart rate increased just seeing it. Before it comes out to my hand, a guy 5 steps behind me yells "How much is that Roman Johnson?" The lady replies "$600.00", and the guys says "I'll take it!". It happened so fast, I couldn't even say anything. I didn't have ANY cash on me whatsoever, but would have worked a deal to get it later today because it called me. Folks in the yard started saying "Wow! That dude didn't even get a chance to see it!". The guy pulled his cash out quickly and ran to his car with it. I was just shocked as I have never scooped anyone like that...or even seen it done. It was funny and sad at the same time. The lady's mother was a bit upset because the lady didn't offer me a chance to counter and talked loudly about it, but I told her that she got the price she was asking and I'm just happy to have seen the painting in person at least. Needless to say, I'll never go somewhere "just to look" again. BTW, the painting has real cotton attached and the papers on it are real too. Great work. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465500777.085961.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
He got into a terrible traffic accident on the way home.

It was his fault, he was texting and driving, telling everyone about this great painting and how he grabbed it ahead of this other dude.

The painting was ripped in half in the accident and now has blood spatters on it.

Life just kinda works out like that sometimes...

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL! I told someone I felt like throwing a grenade on the guy as he was leaving...but then I'd run to grab the painting out of his hand! If I won the lottery, I would probably show the picture and offer the dude cash for it . I liked it a lot more than I expected.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate people like that!! They suck! It's one thing beating someone to a great deal, but another to buy something right out of someone else's hands. We have a couple people like that it my neck of the woods. Maybe some day he'll need an organ transplant and someone will say " hey Doc, how much for that liver?" Doc says "$600.00!" "I'll take it!" All while the sorry bas#%?£ lies on an ice cold gurney!! [emoji38]

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that will happen when you come unarmed to a gunfight!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He got into a terrible traffic accident on the way home.

It was his fault, he was texting and driving, telling everyone about this great painting and how he grabbed it ahead of this other dude.

The painting was ripped in half in the accident and now has blood spatters on it.

Life just kinda works out like that sometimes...

Wow

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Value is at minimum $1000.00, but his art prices are on the rise. And you can't tell, but he put real cotton on the canvas and those slave papers are actual papers he placed in the painting. I'll remember this for a long time. And come armed next time...with cash of course!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Trust me, you will find other art in your life. I have a small,early Robert Harrison bluebonnet painting I got at an auction very cheap. I'll probably get around to getting rid of it some day. Other stuff too. It's all just stuff when you're old and you can't take it with you anyway.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Trust me, you will find other art in your life. I have a small,early Robert Harrison bluebonnet painting I got at an auction very cheap. I'll probably get around to getting rid of it some day. Other stuff too. It's all just stuff when you're old and you can't take it with you anyway.

That is what I told myself. I was surprised at how much I wanted this piece! And it is stuff...but that still doesn't stop me when I look around and see 40+ pieces of art that I actually need to start selling too! I crossed over into hoarder about 5 months ago. I surely don't have the room. And my wife would have killed me.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
To each his own but I'm not that impressed with the picture or the price. Assuming the retail value is $1000 (or even $1500) I wouldn't pay $600. Art prices are too variable and it's a tough sell at retail.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed! Just like everything else we buy, only buy what you like. You might be looking at it for a long time. I've listed 3 pictures in the last year, two sold for over $350 each but took over 30 days to sell. Paid $20 and $6.99 for those. The one still sitting out there cost me $40 and I've had it for over a year. I'm a Southern boy so this picture tickled my fancy.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Looking at the wall across from my computer I've got 6 paintings that I paid between $40 & $300. I bought all of them as part of a lot a couple years ago. I sold 2 others that were in the lot for about 85% of what I paid for everything. If I were to sell all of them I should make between 3-5 times what I paid for the lot. In the meantime I'm enjoying them. That's more along the lines of where I like to be with art.

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it on the web you were able to find sold prices for his paintings? I'm unable to locate any in my searches. Just curious.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
There was only one sold price I believe, but there were local articles about his art and its rising prices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread