Yankee Stadium find

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week at the first yard sale I stopped it I found this odd item.After buying a pair of boots I glanced at the next table and knew this was a traffic light.I picked it
up and noticed the writing on the lens.I plugged it in as soon as I got home and...here it is...
What do you think ?

IMG_2598.JPG

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool! Living here in CT, I have lots of friends who are Yankee fans that would love that! Play ball!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great find! It would look great in a man cave....
Not mine though, I do not like the Yankees...
Matter of principle, I cannot give you a like...

Find me a Red Sox traffic light, I will vote Banner!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say it is a modern fake. You can find these with all sorts of things written on the glass, I see them often at flea markets and "antique" shops. There never were such things at Yankee Stadium, hope you didn't pay much for it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say it is a modern fake. You can find these with all sorts of things written on the glass, I see them often at flea markets and "antique" shops. There never were such things at Yankee Stadium, hope you didn't pay much for it.
Nothing a good ole stencil and a can of flat black wouldn't make unfortunately. It's a cool item for a Yankee fan but I agree, easily made. However the light itself may be the prize, it looks like a Crouse.

OP
OP
cfdfire

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well first off the lens is plexiglass, exact type made in the 70s and 80s.
2nd.... please post a photo as you say you've seen may of these out there, love to see it.
I've searched google images with quite a few different topics and ..........nothing.
I can understand anyone can fake anything but why the silhouette of a baseball player ?
I say it's real until proved otherwise respectfully sir

OP
OP
cfdfire

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing a good ole stencil and a can of flat black wouldn't make unfortunately. It's a cool item for a Yankee fan but I agree, easily made. However the light itself may be the prize, it looks like a Crouse.

A stencil works in the opposite way, the letters would be painted and the lens untouched.It's a LFE TCD auto signal

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first off the lens is plexiglass, exact type made in the 70s and 80s.
2nd.... please post a photo as you say you've seen may of these out there, love to see it.
I've searched google images with quite a few different topics and ..........nothing.
I can understand anyone can fake anything but why the silhouette of a baseball player ?
I say it's real until proved otherwise respectfully sir

Yankees Traffic Signal Light

" These Crouse-Hinds type R, single face traffic signal lights were repurposed and turned into Yankee Stadium souvenirs by changing the lens and rewired for use in the home or office. They were then sold in the surrounding area of Yankee stadium during the late 1970's to the 1980's. There are a large variety of lenses used for these souvenir display lights that includes; New York Yankees, Yankee Stadium, Yankee Tickets, Tickets-Park, "A One of a Kind" Mickey Mantle Memorial Park (a Park that doesn't exist), To Bleachers, to Upper Deck, and there are also NY Giants, Mets and Jets that were sold in the Shea Stadium area.

These Traffic lights were never used to direct Yankee Stadium Traffic or point fans to the Ticket Window, upper deck or Bleachers. They are just fantasy "Man Cave" display pieces."

OP
OP
cfdfire

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yankees Traffic Signal Light

" These Crouse-Hinds type R, single face traffic signal lights were repurposed and turned into Yankee Stadium souvenirs by changing the lens and rewired for use in the home or office. They were then sold in the surrounding area of Yankee stadium during the late 1970's to the 1980's. There are a large variety of lenses used for these souvenir display lights that includes; New York Yankees, Yankee Stadium, Yankee Tickets, Tickets-Park, "A One of a Kind" Mickey Mantle Memorial Park (a Park that doesn't exist), To Bleachers, to Upper Deck, and there are also NY Giants, Mets and Jets that were sold in the Shea Stadium area.

These Traffic lights were never used to direct Yankee Stadium Traffic or point fans to the Ticket Window, upper deck or Bleachers. They are just fantasy "Man Cave" display pieces."

Excellent news with a link :) This is the type of reply I enjoy reading, factual. I really appreciate that you took the time to inform me of this sir.
The type I have isn't Crouse-Hinds but the writing's identical.I paid 5 bucks so at least I didn't get ripped off.Thanks again and take care

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A stencil works in the opposite way, the letters would be painted and the lens untouched.
It's called reverse stenciling. My thanks to GibH for posting the link to offer you the proof you so obviously wanted/needed showing this as a fantasy item. Good day sir!

OP
OP
cfdfire

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called reverse stenciling. My thanks to GibH for posting the link to offer you the proof you so obviously wanted/needed showing this as a fantasy item. Good day sir!

Had you written "reverse stenciling" the first time I would have looked it up and agreed, appreciate this.
I post to learn about items and thanks to GibH I did.Proof is what we look for and the reason why anyone posts in this forum.
I'm not here to waste peoples time with personal opinions diggummp as there're like *******s.We all had one and some people act like them.
Enjoy your Sunday sir!

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opinions on this forum are usually formed by experience. Gunsil gave his, and judging from his location, I would bet he has seen more pf these than most. I have seen many things at sales that I don't have pictures to prove that I have seen them.

If you paid $5 for it, there is still a nice profit to be had. Good find!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not here to waste peoples time with personal opinions diggummp as there're like *******s.We all had one and some people act like them.
Enjoy your Sunday sir!
Your original question was "What do you think?" That in itself infers a personal opinion. Regardless of this thread, an ahole I may be, but self righteousness will get you nowhere. Get off that horse, turnabout is fair play.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experienced people with opinions I trust gave you their assessment from a single picture on the internet. You didn't like the assessment. It sounds more like your sour grapes than their stinky opinions. I've got a few mistakes still sitting around in the house, and others that went to Goodwill. If it was easy and straightforward everyone would be doing it.

OP
OP
cfdfire

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opinions on this forum are usually formed by experience. Gunsil gave his, and judging from his location, I would bet he has seen more pf these than most. I have seen many things at sales that I don't have pictures to prove that I have seen them.

If you paid $5 for it, there is still a nice profit to be had. Good find!

I'm happy with this piece and glad I bought it.I've got 5 bucks in and just like you wrote I'll turn a nice profit.
What Gunsil wrote is partially correct.It's not a modern fake, it's an older fantasy item that was sold in souvenir shops in NYC in the 1970s and 80s.
For it to be a modern fake there would have to be a real one to copy.Since these never existed on the streets or in the stadium, there are no real one's and that part's totally correct.

OP
OP
cfdfire

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your original question was "What do you think?" That in itself infers a personal opinion. Regardless of this thread, an ahole I may be, but self righteousness will get you nowhere. Get off that horse, turnabout is fair play.

First off I Never wrote the you're an ahole so let's give that "infer" a rest.I wrote a phrase from a movie.. The Dead Pool, 1988.We all have plenty of opinions.
I don't know you from Adam (another phrase) so you can understand where I'm coming from.I have no reason to trust you as you do I, hence a reliable link or 2 will convey the info one's seeking.

OP
OP
cfdfire

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experienced people with opinions I trust gave you their assessment from a single picture on the internet. You didn't like the assessment. It sounds more like your sour grapes than their stinky opinions. I've got a few mistakes still sitting around in the house, and others that went to Goodwill. If it was easy and straightforward everyone would be doing it.

Seems I just don't trust as easy as you do sir.Out of all the assessments there was 2 that were correct, it's a fantasy piece and they never existed in or near the stadium and the link.
I have no sour grapes or stinky opinions.Maybe the fact that you've interacted here with experienced people for some time and I haven't means a world of difference between us.
My best friend has been a licensed auctioneer for over 30 years and his jaw dropped looking at a photo of this piece.He's dealt with thousands of pieces of sports memorabilia and never
has seen this before.Do I trust him ? sure..but he even said to do more research .
Mistakes... I've made plenty but this isn't one.I bought it to flip and I'll make a tidy profit.
Thanks for the comment

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Potato, potahto. Repro would mean there had to be an original. Fake and Fantasy are synonyms. Yours is not a Crouse-Hinds, like the one shown in the article mentioned, it has no value anywhere near $50-100 mentioned unless you find a real sucker. They are still being made as far as I can ascertain, they are still readily available at flea markets by the dozens. Believe what you wish and gripe all you want, nobody here really cares to listen to a whiner.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread