Number 800 on spoon (Part2)!

Pawee

Jul 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I went to the yard sale sooooo early LOL
There were only 2 big spoons left for me (1$ each)
The lady told me that a person bought another 5 (they are in the same set) with a big glass bowl!!! (Yesterday,she makes a good salad,I bet LOL)
And this little box,she gave me for free
I did some research about silver last night,so I thought its also silver box? (Please help!)
Well,I bought a lot of jewelry from her,so she assumed that it would be good to put some jewelry inside LOL (I don't even know,normally they use this box for what?)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you for all inspiration,and thank you for all suggestions!!!

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure wish I lived in your neck of the woods. I'd be scoring daily! The little box is plated but it is a nice piece and it is antique.
It was made by-
CHARLES HOWARD COLLINSBirmingham
classified as student maker, c. 1890

3216COLLINS.jpg

OP
OP
P

Pawee

Jul 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh thank you so much!!!
I thought it was sterling silver but I tried to rub it then I saw other color like copper LOL
I then went back on internet and could find only the lion passant mark but
I couldn't find the hallmark "lion passant in circle" LOL
Thank you!!!
Normally,I am not so good with silver LOL

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Word of caution on the raised 800 mark. I had some pieces previously with the raised 800 mark and the were not silver. Most 800 marks are stamped. There is a 50-50 chance but I think they're not. Buy a silver test kit in eBay. They are cheap.

OP
OP
P

Pawee

Jul 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Word of caution on the raised 800 mark. I had some pieces previously with the raised 800 mark and the were not silver. Most 800 marks are stamped. There is a 50-50 chance but I think they're not. Buy a silver test kit in eBay. They are cheap.

I now believe that they are not too!!!
I tried to rub them with toothpaste and they were never shiny!!!
so I used a brooch pin to scratch them
Dang!!! Inside looks like copper!
Like when your cheap necklace starts peeling!
They will be another crap in the basement LOL
I had bad experience from picking silver
Its kind of a difficult thing to me!!!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now believe that they are not too!!!
I tried to rub them with toothpaste and they were never shiny!!!
so I used a brooch pin to scratch them
Dang!!! Inside looks like copper!
Like when your cheap necklace starts peeling!
They will be another crap in the basement LOL
I had bad experience from picking silver
Its kind of a difficult thing to me!!!

Hey I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I mean we all told you to go buy it. Every single one of us here would've bought it also! And I wouldn't say it was a bad experience. May be a learning experience for the future. It would probably be a bad experience if you spent like $30 a spoon But a dollar... It happens...

But there will be a day you will be able to look at everything and know exactly if it's silver or if it's plated. You'll start to recognize hallmarks and Sterling even has a certain smell to it. Get a silver and gold app on your phone and carry a scale with you. You'll be picking stuff up in thrift stores and yard sales, antique stores everywhere you go. You'll look back on this day and laugh! I was there before buying fake stuff and sometimes I still do. We all do it's part of the journey. Either you get a chance to learn or you let your mistakes get you out of this fun hobby!

I bought a fake flatware set before. $300!
Today I bought my 7th sterling flatware set.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468462265.807945.jpg

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Beach kid. There are sooooooo many silver companies and hallmarks from different countries that I still take chances on some things just because I don't know them all. And never will. Just part of the game we all play.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are sooooooo many silver companies and hallmarks from different countries that I still take chances on some things just because I don't know them all.

So right on that Capt. I found this in the bottom of a big plastic bin of plated platters and bowls, I looked at every one and offered $1.00 (what else?)
Weighs around 5 ounces if I remember. Got it packed away right now. It is all hand tooled in 900 fine silver. Made in Egypt. Can't find any Egyptians locallly to translate that last symbol.

Attachments

• EGYPT-09.jpg
    EGYPT-09.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 74
  • EGYPT-06.jpg
    EGYPT-06.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 86

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are beautiful pieces anyway. Don't throw them in the scrap pile. Find one or two more and make some wind chimes! That's what I did with some old enamel ware serving spoons.
I think the box may have been a butter dish?

OP
OP
P

Pawee

Jul 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I mean we all told you to go buy it. Every single one of us here would've bought it also! And I wouldn't say it was a bad experience. May be a learning experience for the future. It would probably be a bad experience if you spent like $30 a spoon But a dollar... It happens...

But there will be a day you will be able to look at everything and know exactly if it's silver or if it's plated. You'll start to recognize hallmarks and Sterling even has a certain smell to it. Get a silver and gold app on your phone and carry a scale with you. You'll be picking stuff up in thrift stores and yard sales, antique stores everywhere you go. You'll look back on this day and laugh! I was there before buying fake stuff and sometimes I still do. We all do it's part of the journey. Either you get a chance to learn or you let your mistakes get you out of this fun hobby!

I bought a fake flatware set before. $300!
Today I bought my 7th sterling flatware set.
View attachment 1336324

Yesterday was not a good day to dig tresure because where I live it rained all day
But today is ok
I went to the same yard sale
I found some little pieces that could heal my pain LOL
1. Silver esrings signed "sterling" at the back
2. Coin charm for necklace signed sterling silver at the back
3. Little elephant signed "ste..." (I assumed that it's silver LOL atleast it doesn't stick to my magnet-see! I finally start to have some tool LllllloLlllll')
And I also picked another 2 things to make it worth a dollar
(I am pretty sure For those 3 things she will cost me just a dollar and even I pick some more she will ask for a dollar or 2$ maximum)
4. A 3 heads alian charm signed something,the mark is not clear,there is only a symbol (looks like fish) left.
5. A granma brooch,should be brass signed only "A2"
For the eyeglasses,got for free :D it signed 1/20-10k should be a gold filled stuff.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you allllll!!!
You guys make me feel so good,seriously!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Someone previously stated 50-50 chance at silver. It isn't. Raised 800 is a style or group number. And the lion on your piece is a decoration not a hallmark. Still, the box is a nice piece

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread