Mystery Sterling Hallmarks?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across these pieces while helping the mother in law move some boxes around the house and really can figure out what they are.

It's something she's had for years but knows nothing about them. Can anybody shed some light on the hallmarks? I figured British, it fits with her lineage, but these are a few marks short of anything from GB.

The marks in order are an eagle facing right, AC in a diamond and a bust of a person facing left. No sterling, possaunt, date mark or anything else but a name on the front of the relative that owned them.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 125

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really nice! I believe that they are American coin silver. The marks are probably what they call pseudo marks and are found on a lot of coin silver items made in cities and towns in the state of New York.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you! Those are the marks and at least provides some information to keep with them for future owners. If I come across any more unique items, I'll take some more pictures. Mom in law is from Boston and can trace back far enough to be in the Daughters of the revolution.

With that sort of history, there are some pretty cool items laying about the house here and in Mass.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Those are the marks and at least provides some information to keep with them for future owners. If I come across any more unique items, I'll take some more pictures. Mom in law is from Boston and can trace back far enough to be in the Daughters of the revolution.

With that sort of history, there are some pretty cool items laying about the house here and in Mass.

My pleasure to help! I collect coin silver so anytime I can help shed a little light for those unusual marks, I enjoy doing so. If your mom-in law has done any genealogy, she might be able to trace those pieces back with the name that's inscribed on the front. That would be cool! My wife has recently discovered that I have an ancestor from the revolutionary war and have thought about joining the Sons of the Revolution. We love Boston. We don't live to far from there and my daughter lives and goes to school there as well.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They use to live outside of Boston but later moved onto the cape. Since wood decoys and shore birds are such a big art subject down there, I thought I'd post these. I'm not sure of the date but at least 2 of them are fairly old. The name is written pencil so it's not the easiest to make out but I think the first name is Fred

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions