Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not hard at all if it's just the crown.....If the stem is still there. The only thing that might be tough is finding the correct crown that fits the case and the thread size of the stem. Some hamiltons had what they called split stems, it was a two piece stem that snapped together. And a lot of the watches I find the crown end of the split stem and crown are missing.

If you can see the stem threads? Then you should be able to just thread one on......Basically......

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any threads. Looks like a hole where it should be.

You may need a stem too, If you look on the inside at the movement and there is nothing sticking out? You need a stem...But that can get into other problems, the part that holds the stem in may either be broken,wore out, or just loosened up over time....To get the stem you will have to find the number on the movement, not the serial number, there will be another number.... off hand I think most for hamilton are 3 digit numbers. not sure.....With that number you can look on ebay for a stem.....If you wanted to dig into it that far...:laughing7: It's not hard at all, just time consuming sometimes tracking down parts...

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can post a pic of the movement...I may have the parts...I have some random stuff yet for wrist watches...

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am fairly certain that the stem is broken off in the movement. The movement has the numbers 770 with "adj" and "22 jewels". I believe this is the vintage "Hamilton Valiant" model.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know what you're doing is not too hard to replace the crown and crown stem. That being said I ruined a couple watches trying to do it the first few times. 770 is a solid movement so if everything else is in good condition is probably worth fixing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread