Mid century modern swivel chairs?

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the opportunity to pick up these two vintage mid century modern chairs for $5 each. Are they any good?

1474394493786738518410.jpg

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are marked Knoll, buy them immediately.

They are tulip chairs, in the style of Eero Saarinen. Burke made a lot of similar chairs. I've never seen them upholstered with that seat shape before. See if the upholstery is removable and there's a fiberglass chair underneath.

I'd get them at $5 each and could flip them quickly for $25 each or so. They might need painting and new upholstery and might not be worth that work for the final value. Better off to flip as is.

OP
OP

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are marked Knoll, buy them immediately.

They are tulip chairs, in the style of Eero Saarinen. Burke made a lot of similar chairs. I've never seen them upholstered with that seat shape before. See if the upholstery is removable and there's a fiberglass chair underneath.

I'd get them at $5 each and could flip them quickly for $25 each or so. They might need painting and new upholstery and might not be worth that work for the final value. Better off to flip as is.

Thanks so much. They are not fibreglass underneath, its a metal frame. 1474396264596-985819058.jpg

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! These are definitely new to me. I'm going to bet low to middle end maker, copying Saarinen's idea and running with it. Depending on your location (decent size city), you can get more. Search CL for MCM and mid century and see what the market's like. They might not be storefront worthy, but I think if you put a price of $60-80 on them and took a good offer, you'll do all right.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
While you should call it mid century modern, it is pretty obvious by style, color and material that it was likely made in the early 1970's. Still, pretty cool chair.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $5 you can't go wrong.

Top Member Reactions