billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found four large serving spoons. No marking on the back. Two marks. One on the left of the stem, one on the right of the stem near the rim inside of spoon. Left side is a small stamp of a lobster. On the right a stamp with "506". Any response would be very helpful.

Maybe better close up pics tomorrow.

Any ideas if they are sterling or what the markings mean?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• Lobster and 506 silverware stamping spoon 005.JPG
    Lobster and 506 silverware stamping spoon 005.JPG
    670.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Lobster and 506 silverware stamping spoon 004.JPG
    Lobster and 506 silverware stamping spoon 004.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Lobster and 506 silverware stamping spoon 008.JPG
    Lobster and 506 silverware stamping spoon 008.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I would have my doubts.
Really do not like the light quality reflecting from the spoon in the bottom two photos.
Acid testing is the only way to go.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very odd number mark, but I agree with PD, they don't have 'the look' but tough to tell from the photos. Acid.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd give these one "bump", hoping that someone might recognize the odd numbers and "lobster" stamp.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the help,

Bill

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a French silver plate mark

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
They are most certainly platinum. Sorry but that was a joke. People using this site for a few years should "get" it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the maker but pretty sure about the 90g mark.

In Germany, there are basically two standards of cutlery silver plating:
90g silver plating = 36 micron plate
A surface area of 24 dm², which is approximately the size of 12 menu spoons and 12 menu forks, is
electroplated with 90g of silver. The 90g silver plating is the standard-type silver plating that has a
thickness of silver layer of 36m only (m = the thousandth of a millimetre) and a surface hardness of
130 micro Vickers only (micro Vickers = measuring unit for the surface hardness).

150g solid-silver plating = 60 micron plate
This standard of silver plating was introduced in 1969 by Robbe & Berking, first in Germany and then
throughout Europe. Today this quality is the most increasing silver-plate on the market. Instead of
90g of silver, 150g are used on the same surface area of 24 dm². This means that the silver coating is
two thirds thicker and, under the same conditions, it will last two thirds longer.

90g or 90G or G90 or 90 or Hard Plating: Refers to Electro-Plating of over 30 microns thickness; found mostly on German Cutlery & Utilitarian Flatware ca 1920s onwards.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the maker but pretty sure about the 90g mark.

In Germany, there are basically two standards of cutlery silver plating:
90g silver plating = 36 micron plate
A surface area of 24 dm², which is approximately the size of 12 menu spoons and 12 menu forks, is
electroplated with 90g of silver. The 90g silver plating is the standard-type silver plating that has a
thickness of silver layer of 36m only (m = the thousandth of a millimetre) and a surface hardness of
130 micro Vickers only (micro Vickers = measuring unit for the surface hardness).

150g solid-silver plating = 60 micron plate
This standard of silver plating was introduced in 1969 by Robbe & Berking, first in Germany and then
throughout Europe. Today this quality is the most increasing silver-plate on the market. Instead of
90g of silver, 150g are used on the same surface area of 24 dm². This means that the silver coating is
two thirds thicker and, under the same conditions, it will last two thirds longer.

90g or 90G or G90 or 90 or Hard Plating: Refers to Electro-Plating of over 30 microns thickness; found mostly on German Cutlery & Utilitarian Flatware ca 1920s onwards.

Diggummup,

Thank you for this help! I kept "seeing" the "g" as a different font of the number "5" next to the "06".... I can see I was reading the number stamp upside down....:tongue3:

Your explanation of the history of 90g was most educating, and I do thank you for making the time in this bustling holiday season and sharing your experience and knowledge.

They are nice size serving-bowl spoons and have an appeal for the job they were meant to do. I'll put them into our own up-and-coming garage sale. We've been ready "one hellious size garage sale" for the past month or two, but a "92 year old Mom" and bad timing of weekends and weather fronts kept us from setting up a two or three day sale.

A sincere wish to you for a safe holiday and prosperous new year!

Bill

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggummup,

Thank you for this help! I kept "seeing" the "g" as a different font of the number "5" next to the "06".... I can see I was reading the number stamp upside down....:tongue3:

Your explanation of the history of 90g was most educating, and I do thank you for making the time in this bustling holiday season and sharing your experience and knowledge.

They are nice size serving-bowl spoons and have an appeal for the job they were meant to do. I'll put them into our own up-and-coming garage sale. We've been ready "one hellious size garage sale" for the past month or two, but a "92 year old Mom" and bad timing of weekends and weather fronts kept us from setting up a two or three day sale.

A sincere wish to you for a safe holiday and prosperous new year!

Bill
I have some similar marked cutlery so I was familiar with the 90g mark. The rest was just cut and paste. Glad to help.

Christmas season has been a bummer this year already. First time in the last 4 years I didn't visit my family out of state.

Being stuck in this cesspool of humanity known as S. Florida for the holidays has always been semi-depressing. Heck, just living here is, who am I kidding, lol. At any rate I hope everyone has a blessed holiday season and a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread