Possible gold ring? Star sapphire, diamonds

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today for $30 usually would never pay for something that expensive with no markings. The ring had been resized before and only a partial mark is showing. The ring fits great on my index finger hence why I bought it. I really need an acid test kit lol I think it has the look of white gold for sure. No tarnishing anywhere and it just looks like gold. Thoughts? It is a real star sapphire with two small diamonds.
20161218_165639_resized.jpg 20161218_165643_resized.jpg 20161218_165657_resized.jpg 20161218_165707_resized.jpg 20161218_165727_resized.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you have girlie looking fingers

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely gold and the little "chips" are most likely real diamonds. As for the stone, it sure looks like a star sapphire but I'm not an expert

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if the star moves when you turn it it's real.... looks like real gold too..

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a double take when I saw this and my chin hit the floor. I had this exact ring years ago and it too was resized. Hard times forced me to pawn it. I have to know where you are. Missouri here.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope Washington! I had this ring looked at and for sure at least 10k gold. The jeweler told me that these rings are actually quite common in style! Here is another Fine vintage 10K White solid Gold, Star Sapphire ring, size 10 | eBay

And Jedi I just did a test with a flashlight it a dark room and the star moves all over the place! It's basically dancing all around the stone.... kinda cool to play with lol

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it's a man made Lindy blue star sapphire. They were popular in the 1960s and many were set in gold as gold wasn't as high priced as it is today.
Vintage 14k gold diamond Lindy blue star sapphire cabochon signet pinky ring 8 | eBay I believe my wife has a white gold ring with a Lindy stone set in it that belonged to her mother? A Lindy star will will also move with the light casted on it. A real sapphire is generally not as dark blue as a Lindy star sapphire. InVogueJewelry: Star Sapphires: Natural or Synthetic?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it's a man made Lindy blue star sapphire. They were popular in the 1960s and many were set in gold as gold wasn't as high priced as it is today.
Vintage 14k gold diamond Lindy blue star sapphire cabochon signet pinky ring 8 | eBay I believe my wife has a white gold ring with a Lindy stone set in it that belonged to her mother? A Lindy star will will also move with the light casted on it. A real sapphire is generally not as dark blue as a Lindy star sapphire. InVogueJewelry: Star Sapphires: Natural or Synthetic?
I was thinking that too until I looked at it closer. I can see little imperfections within the stone. Also, synthetic stars don't move around the sapphire when turned in light where as mine moves everywhere. Lindy sapphires also have an L stamped on the bottom, mine doesn't. This is what mine looks like up close, those little lines that go across the stone as seen on the left side of the stones, my sapphire has that as well. I'll get the stone tested tomorrow.
571cc0a5845544b39b7c07f8953d9b82.jpg

Here is a close up of my stone, you can sort of see the striations and how the star is on the far left corner...
20161220_001159.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely synthetic, bummer! Really was hoping it was real!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did notice yours didn't have an L as many do, but synthetic star stones have been made by the thousands in Indian and China, so it may not be a true Lindy? I thought the same thing as you did long ago with my wife's Lindy ring, that it was the real deal. Good thing now is you and I both now know what a real and very rare natural star sapphire will look like. I hope to find one in a pawn shop, antique shop or thrift store someday. Still 30 bucks for that amount a gold is a score IMO. I'll buy any gold priced below spot value I come across no matter the condition or what's mounted in it. Last fall I paid $5.00 on this 14K, pearl Ming's ring of Hawaii. Good thing the mark was so dang small, as they missed it. It's missing two pearls and I should probably look to see if I can find some to replace them as I should get way over the spot value in the gold it has, if I get it fixed. I've looked for some pearls online, but really haven't found any that quite match these. No worries though as I'm not in any big rush to sell it yet.

Attachments

• ming 1.jpg
    ming 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • ming 4.jpg
    ming 4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • ming 6.jpg
    ming 6.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Genuine Linde rings with an L on the bottom actually have a good amount of value for being synthetic as they are getting increasingly rare. Mine on the other hand is essentially worthless haha. I got about $25 more in gold thankfully.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking ring find, congratulations!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to share, I bought one of these today. I will have to upgrade the photo on Saturday if I can get a good one. However there is an L engraved in the back of the stone itself.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483078910.224858.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll buy any gold priced below spot value I come across no matter the condition or what's mounted in it.

Would you buy these? These are just some of the gold pieces I bought a couple years ago (300 lbs junk jewelry from out of business "cash for gold" company) Most of the crowns were gold, 2-3 were base metal. The nugget was just under 3gr if I remember correctly. The gangbanger grill was at least 10K.

I paid around $1300 for all 300 lbs so these cost maybe 25¢ each. ;) But I also got a lot of K-rap in that lot at same price each. ;(

Attachments

• AU-01.jpg
    AU-01.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 126
  • AU-02.jpg
    AU-02.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 122
  • AU-03.jpg
    AU-03.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 126

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

What would be the value of a true gold nugget in the jewelry/collector market?

Just wondering, as I have run across two at different times that appear real and had a slip ring attached through the end of each.

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year,
Bill

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the value of a true gold nugget in the jewelry/collector market?

That is a real nugget with ring soldered on top. I got it quoted at two different places and could only get spot minus a small percent. They both told me nuggets are not 24K (maybe 22K or so)

I traded it for a gold prospecting tool and three little picker nuggets. (we were both happy with the swap)

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
That is a real nugget with ring soldered on top. I got it quoted at two different places and could only get spot minus a small percent. They both told me nuggets are not 24K (maybe 22K or so)

I traded it for a gold prospecting tool and three little picker nuggets. (we were both happy with the swap)

I believe if you look on eBay, natural gold nuggets USUALLY go for 1.5 to 2X's gold content. Natural gold, from what I have always read, is app. 22K, so Dan, as usual is correct. Try doing an eBay search under sold listings for "gold nugget".

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I sold a vintage 14k "nugget" not too long ago for a good bit more than melt. Although I don't have the exact figure in front of me & am too lazy to look over my records I won't list anything gold for less than 1.25 times melt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread