Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
My' nephew received a similar type Machine Gun from WWII for work he did on a guy's truck. It was a bring back from the war and there was no documentation on the Machine Gun which I am pretty sure is needed to apply for a Class III License in order to own and possess it. I told him that it is better to bury it in a deep hole than to risk many years in Federal Prison.

Frank

Last edited:

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was real, Florida does not allow anyone to have in their possession a machine gun unless it is considered to be antique. However, federal law often allows people to own a machine gun so long as it was manufactured before a certain date in 1986.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My' nephew received a similar type Machine Gun from WWII for work he did on a guy's truck. It was a bring back from the war and there was no documentation on the Machine Gun which I am pretty sure is needed to apply for a Class III License in order to own and possess it. I told him that it is better to bury it in a deep hole than to risk many years in Federal Prison.
Frank

Don't dig that hole too deep, you may need it someday.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Frank
No need to hide it now you told every one about it.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was real, Florida does not allow anyone to have in their possession a machine gun unless it is considered to be antique. However, federal law often allows people to own a machine gun so long as it was manufactured before a certain date in 1986.

FL does NOT have any requirements about the age of any automatic weapons. The 1986 date is the date that manufacture of new weapons for the civilian market. This effectively makes any guns out there 'antiques' since it's been over 25 years since 1986.
All that is needed is the regular ATF paperwork, $200 tax stamp, background check and signature form the local Chief Law Enforcement Officer(usually the County Sheriff).

If anyone were to find an automatic weapon in their treasure hunting, unless it already in the BATF's database as a registered weapon-and you find the paperwork to prove it, there is NO WAY of making it legal to possess. Either hide it well and hope the laws change, destroy it and be done with it, cut it up to BATF's current guidelines( https://www.atf.gov/firearms/machinegun-destruction ) and sell the parts kit or donate it to your local or state police or a museum.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owner has not called back. Supposed to pick it up on Saturday but they were not home. So as of right now everything is still up in the air. Until I hear back. But thank everyone again for all your time put into this. It is really appreciated.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FL does NOT have any requirements about the age of any automatic weapons. The 1986 date is the date that manufacture of new weapons for the civilian market. This effectively makes any guns out there 'antiques' since it's been over 25 years since 1986.
All that is needed is the regular ATF paperwork, $200 tax stamp, background check and signature form the local Chief Law Enforcement Officer(usually the County Sheriff).

If anyone were to find an automatic weapon in their treasure hunting, unless it already in the BATF's database as a registered weapon-and you find the paperwork to prove it, there is NO WAY of making it legal to possess. Either hide it well and hope the laws change, destroy it and be done with it, cut it up to BATF's current guidelines( https://www.atf.gov/firearms/machinegun-destruction ) and sell the parts kit or donate it to your local or state police or a museum.

It is very refreshing to hear someone know what the hell they are talking about!

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Machine Guns & Automatic Firearms in Florida | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

"Federal law generally allows the possession of machine guns manufactured prior to May 19, 1986 so long as they are registered."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread