May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regularly troll eBay and watch a lot of under $25 vintage watches. I saw a listing advertised as a 1930's Bulova American Eagle with a great case but not winding. I couldn't believe it when I won the auction for $21 plus shipping. Well I got the watch yesterday and it was in much better condition than I expected. The case and band are spotless. It turns out it's a 1938 Montgomery with a 1937 movement and with the original band. I did a quick look at the movement and could see what was the problem as I expected. The ratchet wheel screw was loose causing the transmission gear not to engage when the watch was wound. I reengage the gears and tightened the screw and put oil on it. It has been running perfectly ever since. Quite happy with the relatively rare Bulova at a steal of a price!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487251925.019782.jpg

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love it. Educate us, what's it worth 'in a retail environment'? haha

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it. Educate us, what's it worth 'in a retail environment'? haha

Based on the condition of mine and that it is running with a great matching band I would say $200.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you. very interesting post. I'm not a watch guy, but not long ago found a gold filled bulova in very good running condition for $30 at a yard sale, sold it on ebay for something close to $200, don't remember exactly, so since then I'm a fan of the "genre."

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bulovas are quite awesome. A watch collector told me that quite some time ago Bulovas were plentiful for under $10 now they are getting more rare and there are a good amount of people who collect them. I think you're right on the price.... Although, Bulovas are scary.... I bought one a couple weeks ago for $2 but I would have paid up to $30 for it, get home and find out it's worth a measly $25-$30!!! Be careful and never pay too much for these watches unless they're solid gold! You scored at $20, I would've bought it too.

Here is a 1929 Bulova Garfield, serviced a week ago! Radium is original and all.
20161119_162607_resized.jpg
Here is the radiation it gives off, readings taken at my university. BTW this is safe LOL.
20161128_215337.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bulovas are quite awesome. A watch collector told me that quite some time ago Bulovas were plentiful for under $10 now they are getting more rare and there are a good amount of people who collect them. I think you're right on the price.... Although, Bulovas are scary.... I bought one a couple weeks ago for $2 but I would have paid up to $30 for it, get home and find out it's worth a measly $25-$30!!! Be careful and never pay too much for these watches unless they're solid gold! You scored at $20, I would've bought it too.

Here is a 1929 Bulova Garfield, serviced a week ago! Radium is original and all.
View attachment 1416408
Here is the radiation it gives off, readings taken at my university. BTW this is safe LOL.
View attachment 1416409

Yes I have to admit the Bulova watch pricing is all across the board. That being said I usually buy what I like and not for resale. So when I hit my limit I have no problem saying goodbye but if I do happen to win it I am pleased because it's what I think it's worth. I really love your watch. I love a good classic tank style anything from the 20s a great survivor. I've been looking for World War I trench watch and believe that to be next on my list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread