Do you always buy silver if you can for under spot? Help identifying sterling mark?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys quick question, do you always buy silver even if it is only a little under spot? This tray weighs 350 grams but I still paid $147 for it. Only $30 worth of silver extra... I just figured I can't go wrong until I later thought about how most places even give a little less than exact spot.... Would you guys have bought it or just passed? Also, can't seem to find the makers mark anywhere online, help me out? Thanks!
20170317_170833_resized.jpg 20170317_214436.jpg

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy all silver all the time as long as it's the right price and $30 under melt isn't a bad price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty. I don't buy larger items like that cause I don't have the $, but, I don't see how you can go wrong. Your thinking of the scrap price. If you can hold onto it, it may command a higher price in 6 - 12 months or more.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, especially because it is low right now.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polish that piece up. I'm sure it's worth a bit more than melt. Especially if it has no dents or scratches. I personally would have passed on it, but that's just me. My pockets aren't as deep as I'd like them to be! However. I have in the past, purchased a few pieces at retail cost or close, to add to my collection. Not often as I like a good deal. But when I see something special, I'll dig a bit deeper in me pockets!

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Silver finds are almost "Once in a Lifetime" finds at prices well below what it will bring. For what "they" are saying, silver is projected head upwards, plateau, go higher, plateau, etc. in the months ahead. It has a dual life: to be used in new technologies as well as a Precious Metal to help keep wealth. They will be using ways to remove silver plate from those pieces as well as removing silver from even old black/white reels of all sizes of old movie film. Some say that silver will cause families to become wealthy enough to last for several generations down the road.

Finding anything silver, below spot, is money well spent. These are some examples in the last few years that I've found to help extend "retirement household budgets".... I didn't get this far without a lot of help from the guy and gal members who helped me with ideas, their experience, and made time to answer and give their help!!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/502716-advice-oxygen.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/502915-need-advice-mor-mor-more-oxygen.html

Did you know that COPPER AND BRASS can make SILVER? :tongue3:

I collect copper and brass items at garage sales when I see them cheap. From Copper tubing and heavy copper wire remnants to Brass castings from China and India as well as old water faucets and brass cutoff valves found at estate sales.Yellow Brass is about $1.58 a pound this week and #1 Copper is $2.23 with #2 at $2.06. And I've got my estimating down by "feel", so I can at least double my seed money when I sell the metals at the scrapyard. So, that means when I buy SILVER or Sterling SILVER, I can use my profit and my seed money to make silver cost at least half price, or if I use only the PROFIT, then my silver purchase actually makes my SILVER: "Free"....

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/523686-team-quote-i-love-when.html

If you can find it and buy it low enough, you will always get your seed money back; even when others are facing long bank lines or bank holidays. The UP-side has so much promise and peace-of-mind.

Get all the silver you can, as cheap as you can; while you can.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Is this from the 40s? Also what is it exactly? Found the same tray on ebay theyre asking for 400 and called it a four compartment serving tray...

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find,,
I don't know if I would go that high on the purchase price. I'm kind of like a $20. guy.

My yardsale name is dollardan, but of course I do not broadcast that when shopping. I found this silver dish in a big plastic bin full of silver plated brass serving trays. It was close to the bottom. I always dig all the way when I see a lot of old serving trays and pieces. I pulled it out and asked if they would take a dollar. I was just guessing that it was silver because I could not read the marks on the back. With a little googling I could translate the first two hallmarks. It weighs 5.7 ounces and is only worth about $85 melted. I am sure I could get more on feebay but don't want to sell yet.

Attachments

• EGYPT-04.jpg
    EGYPT-04.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 87
  • EGYPT-09.jpg
    EGYPT-09.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Frank W. Smith Silver Co.
Gardner, MA 1886-1958
Frank Smith was the grandson of William Durgin and
worked with him in Concord, NH. Smith went on to
establish his own company. Makers of a full line of
sterling flatware and holloware, their dies were sold
to Towle and the company was sold to Webster Silver Co.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't stockpile precious metals & only buy if I can resell at an acceptable profit. This won't be popular but here goes. If you bought in 2004 at the beginning of the run up in prices you did very well. If you bought at the peak in the early 80's you didn't make your money back. If you bought any time between the 2 you didn't do as well as you would have if you invested in almost anything else. If you bought at peak prices recently it will probably be a long time before you get your money back. I've been saying for the last 18-24 months that prices are settling into the new "normal" and will sit at that level until the next crisis and/or popularity event.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to stop buying weighted silver candlesticks! That and small cheap jewelry. Got a focus on the big return items

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I got to stop buying weighted silver candlesticks! That and small cheap jewelry. Got a focus on the big return items

My time is too valuable to me to waste it on minimum wage type buys. I'd rather sit by the pool & drink beer. Having said that, if I'm on my regular trip through the thrifts or at an estate sale I don't pass up anything silver/gold as long as I can buy for 75% or less of melt. I've already spent the time & it's not a lot of effort to drop it in a box & ship it to the refiner.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

95% of the time I make good money on weighted silver items. I already know that 90% of the weight is junk, so if they have any heft at all I will have over one ounce or more of silver. So if I can get for $5 or less (a pair) I have at least tripled my money. Doesn't take long to tear them down either, just small hammer and needle nose pliers. The silver is like very heavy duty aluminum foil and peels off with the pliers

They usually have dents or are wobbly so that helps in getting good price.

When I see them at sales i pick up and without even looking at the bottom I feel the bottom. If I feel velvet I put it back down and move on. If i feel metal I look closer but not close enough to draw attention. If marked weighted silver and no one is around I will set back down and act uninterested. Maybe pick up something else a table away and ask price and then ask about the candlesticks too. If other customers are around I never set down for fear someone was waiting to grab them. I have done that myself. I see something in another person's hands that I would like. I hover close by and if they set it back down I go closer while browsing and then pick it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread