Clyde Barrow photograph?

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I found this picture at an estate sale in Houston, Texas. It was in some old family photos, but this photo did not really belong with the rest. It was older, and the boarder and photo type did not match any others.

It took me forever to decipher the license plate, but I'm now positive is says "Houston". And I think Houston, doesn't mean the city, but the County, which is about a hundred miles up the road from the city. Why is Houston County important? It because it's where Clyde Barrow was incarcerated at the Eastham Unit (which he hated with a passion) and which he later broke out some confederates in a daring prison raid.

My picture is the man standing in front of the vehicle pointing the shotgun. The other pictures are known pictures of Clyde Barrow, and one of uck Barrow taken in Crockett (Houston County) Texas.

The car is an old Model T, I think, and another picture included is Clyde sitting on the back bumper of a Model T. Of course he is most famous for his Ford V8, but Clyde stole a lot of cars, and when ambushed and killed, there were about 13 stolen license plates in the car. One near-expert in photography believes it is him, based on hair and head shapes (what we can see). Notice the known picture of Clyde hugging and kissing Bonnie.

I'd like your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

001.JPG 006.JPG 005.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 003.JPG 001.JPG

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like him! This is based on google photos of Clyde Barrow.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a B&C museum? Maybe some "expert" can ID him.

I was at a sale once and was going through some old photos. I saw one of a guy in a straight jacket, but it had the bottom inch torn off. I asked if I could have for $1 and the lady said OK but that is not Houdini. A little research at home proved it was. I could not find that exact photo anywhere. Sold for over $60!

Your could go for even more. :)

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to live in the public housing across the street from where Bonnie was buried at one point. Clyde's family attended the funeral(way before my time there). That is a nice score.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plate style is way too early, TX has had a state issued plate since at least the early 1920's.

Edit: 1917 state issued plates were done statewide. This photo pre-dates 1917 or someone was running around for a loooong time on homemade tags.

Last edited:

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stolen plate - to baffle the cops ?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stolen plate - to baffle the cops ?

That style of plate would draw more attention from the police if anything. If using a stolen plate, you would want to use one from the current year.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a B&C museum? Maybe some "expert" can ID him.

I was at a sale once and was going through some old photos. I saw one of a guy in a straight jacket, but it had the bottom inch torn off. I asked if I could have for $1 and the lady said OK but that is not Houdini. A little research at home proved it was. I could not find that exact photo anywhere. Sold for over $60!

Your could go for even more. :)

There was an episode of American Pickers that gave photos found to the museum. The Museum was near where they were killed.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Looks like he has a double barrel shotgun. I seem to remember Clyde used a Remington Model 11 Autoloader on several heists.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The photo looks like A reproduction to me. It looks like an honest copy of the copy of the copy

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read this book and I believe some of these photos were in it. My great aunt was a bank teller in Stuart Iowa when Clyde and Henry Methvin hit the bank one day... I remember her telling the story at our family gatherings. She said Clyde was a sawed off little runt , but Henry Methvin was a good looking fella.
Good book!
https://books.google.com/books/about/Go_Down_Together.html?id=fly6PwAACAAJ&hl=en

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like he has a double barrel shotgun. I seem to remember Clyde used a Remington Model 11 Autoloader on several heists.
The dude would break into the National Guard Armories and steal all the firearms he could. I believe he'd just about steal any kind of gun and ammunition he could get his hands on.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are 2 shotguns in the photo of the collection. top long gun is also a shotgun, single or double, but think its a double.

btw, it sure looks like him, but I think you need more than that to get the real bucks. car is early for his era, but it coulda just been conveniently at hand.

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; If I'm not mistaken the Model T was considered a work horse of a car and it was used by everyone for ages after it's production had stopped. So for Clyde to steal a Model T from someones barn would not be a stretch of the imagination. Try taking a look at his death pictures of which there are many for comparison. If you can get this photo Authenticated as being Clyde then it is virtually Priceless for sure due to it's Rarity. I wish you good luck. Now that you have Our attention I think you owe to Us to let Us know what the final Outcome is on it. The suspense is killing me.!!! PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
OldSowBreath

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Well, a "semi-expert" (he refuses to call himself an expert, but is respected and deals in photo recognition in an informal, historical way) believes it is Clyde. He has referred me to a real, well known facial recognition expert for further review. However, I am waiving on the $750.00 fee for doing so.

Interesting that there is a hole in the middle of the photo, on the car radiator, that seems to indicate that at one time this photo was pinned to a bulletin board. Not much in itself, but could lead to the possibility that it was police related. Also, have seen a known picture of brother Buck with many similar trees in the background. Of course, a tree is just one tree out of many, especially in B&W. Further work continues. Thanks for all the responses, and I'll keep everyone advised.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread