Last edited:

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find and a great addition to the savings account!

I have a couple of quick questions that will make it painfully obvious that I am a noob when it comes to coins:

How do you identify an actual gold coin once that golden hue has caught your attention? What I mean by that is that even though a clad US quarter is a silver color doesn't necessarily make it silver (pre-1965 not withstanding). Once a gold colored coin has caught your eye, is there a resource available that indicates which countries minted gold coins during which years?

I'm afraid I'd load up on gold colored coins (Canadian loonies for example!) and have them wind up being little more than a disappointing and costly lesson.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really the color. I'd hit a local coin shop and hold one and compare it to what you have. I wasn't 100% sure but it was solid looking. It's hard to explain but once you hold one the comparison is none. But don't go
For the 1 oz. the 1/10 or 1/4 is a good look I think.

Same goes for jewelry too. When you get that look or you know what you're looking for. You know what your looking at.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YESSS!! This is why this forum needs a sub-banner system. Haha well done!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe it. Stopped at a yard sale and the lady had a small bag of coins she wanted a dollar for it. One looked gold. Wasn't 100% sure it was. Wasn't going to stand there and look it up on my phone and she was standing over my shoulder. So I gave her a dollar and walked away...

Yeah! 1922 Swiss 10 Francs.
Still can't believe it. All the rest were modern-day stuff.

View attachment 1448009
View attachment 1448010

Great score, and for a BUCK!! I've got to start looking for coin bags. LOL....

Incredible find and a great addition to the savings account!

I have a couple of quick questions that will make it painfully obvious that I am a noob when it comes to coins:

How do you identify an actual gold coin once that golden hue has caught your attention? What I mean by that is that even though a clad US quarter is a silver color doesn't necessarily make it silver (pre-1965 not withstanding). Once a gold colored coin has caught your eye, is there a resource available that indicates which countries minted gold coins during which years?

I'm afraid I'd load up on gold colored coins (Canadian loonies for example!) and have them wind up being little more than a disappointing and costly lesson.

Well for a buck I'd be willing to take a gamble on it being real or fake.

The best way is to look it up on line and see what the coin content is.

Almost all Jewellery by law will have a makers mark, or a silver/gold mark.

Obviously there are fakes out there, and some of the older stuff wont have any markings on it.

Silver will be marked typically at 925, 800 and even 999 if you're super lucky.

Gold will be marked with 8k (33) 9k (375) 10k (416 or 417), 12k (500), 14k (583 or 585), 15k (625), 16k (667), 18k (750), 21k (875), 22k (916 or 917), 23k (958) and 24k.......again if your super lucky would be 999.

For the most part K is North American markings, and decimal numbers are European.

There are some countries that have fake markings (like everything else), so just watch out. Italy and Mexico seems to me to be the worst offenders, but don't hold me to that.

If it's a reseller and the price is super crazy low (like on EBay) then it's probably a scam.

If however it's like our OP's find, then a buck (whether a scam or not) is a gamble I'd take all day long.

You can also just walk away from the area where you found your new potential purchase and do a quick google search.

I.E. What is the gold content of a 1922 Swiss 10 Franc.

The only gold loonie that you should trust is the one in the Bode Museum in Germany.............ooooops too late, that's been stolen! LOL.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread