Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have never seen so many resellers. Almost every one I went to this weekend had TS markings on thier items. Now when I have a yard sell yes I am a reseller but not so obvious. It was like they did not care. Another give away was how many baby car seats does one need. I actually had a seller ask me if I did ebay cause I was looking at everything. She wanted to sell me some stuff at "a good price". Some kind of statue figurines. Got in the car and looked them up. Wow she must have gotten ripped off and trying to make some money back based on what she was asking for them, even at a good price.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't noticed it in my area, but it doesn't surprise me. I don't care if it came from the city dump or a thrift shop, if the price is right - i'll bite. I have noticed ebay printouts on some crap at yard sales, I will just leave the sale immediately if I see those.

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen obvious TS reselling, but did go to one yard sale and saw something I threw out a few weeks before... but I trash pick too so not judging, just found it funny.

Yes, on the ebay printouts! Often a 'listed at' price printout, not a 'sold for' printout, but obviously whatever is higher. Best when accompanied by signs saying stuff like "Don't make cheap offers I know what they're worth" with lots of exclamation points.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen obvious TS reselling, but did go to one yard sale and saw something I threw out a few weeks before... but I trash pick too so not judging, just found it funny.

Yes, on the ebay printouts! Often a 'listed at' price printout, not a 'sold for' printout, but obviously whatever is higher. Best when accompanied by signs saying stuff like "Don't make cheap offers I know what they're worth" with lots of exclamation points.

Always the listed price on the printouts, not the sold price which further sours me. Depends on what mood im in, but in the past I have said if you can get that much money on ebay, what on earth are you doing selling it here? And then I explain the whole packing, transporting, shipping, and 13% cut they take off the top the seller always neglects to consider.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always the listed price on the printouts, not the sold price which further sours me. Depends on what mood im in, but in the past I have said if you can get that much money on ebay, what on earth are you doing selling it here? And then I explain the whole packing, transporting, shipping, and 13% cut they take off the top the seller always neglects to consider.
Yeah, Ive had people have something for say 20 dollars...I tell them it is selling on Ebay for 30...they say good, you can re sale it and make 10 dollars.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More and more people are using Ebay to price their garage sale items...problem is, they don't understand and are going by "asking" prices, not "sold for" prices.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More and more people are using Ebay to price their garage sale items...problem is, they don't understand and are going by "asking" prices, not "sold for" prices.

The unwashed masses generally have no idea about realized market value.

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do garage sales, so what does TS mean?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ts= thrift stores

I've taught 7 families in the last year to sell on eBay. I enjoy trying to help. As of today only two families still do, one of which i started last month. The ones who quit say it's too hard. One that kept with it made $800 last week. You get out what you put in. Most competition seems to disappear before it becomes a problem. Not to mention there's way more stuff than there is sellers anyways.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a few years ago my brother and his wife decided that they needed to make a little bit of extra cash, so they turned to selling stuff on EBay.

Like most other people picking up deals here and there, and then flipping them.

They made some decent coin for a side job, but got out of it after a few years.

Something to do with the new rules of EBay and all the extra fees they were charging (or something like that).

I find now that if an EBay item has a great price, their shipping charges are through the roof nulling the good deal.

Unless it is something totally obscure that I want and can't get locally, I will turn to EBay, aside from that..........not so much.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I have taken some stuff to our local dump where they have a "reuse it centre" set up.

Anything that still has some good life to it, you can leave in that room and not get charged for taking it or leaving it.

Well the local mom and pop thrift shop that sells stuff for cheap is a place that we don't normally go into, but somebody told us that they had one of our trash items in their store.

So I decided to pop in and have a look..........OMG, it was like their store came straight from my place!

We had a huge garage sale a few weeks earlier and all the stuff that we didn't sell we took to the dumps "reuse it centre".............guess who came by and claimed it all??

I found out a short while later that they do consignment there, so I could have given her all that stuff and even if they charged me 50%, I still would have made some dosh!!

What a fool! LOL.........

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ebay printouts to me are just an insult to me, sorry not that stupid and I've got no bones about telling them. When I'm selling and they come up with the "The guy two blocks over has the same thing for" My response? "Well, you better haul buns before he sells it! If it's sold I'll be here........." Honestly, since American Pickers started, everyone does the crossed arms stance and expects you to dicker back & forth. Nope this isn't TV and you're not the pickers. My buddy has a guy that's a real jerk buying & selling. This guy all but ripped off one of his elderly neighbors. So, he follows the guy to his house. He said the guys backyard was full of stuff up to the top of a 6' wall and even more piled in the driveway. My buddy bought a couple things so he could look around and take some pics. He reported the jerk to the city and they made him get rid of all of it. The guy had two yard sales and you wouldn't believe what & how much was on the free pile! :laughing7: It doesn't pay to be a jerk. That karma will bite you in the butt every time! :laughing7:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The guy two blocks over has the same thing for" My response? "Well, you better haul buns before he sells it! If it's sold I'll be here........."

I'm totally going to use that line, that comes up more often than I'd like.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and me and everybody wants to get retail. I never begrudge anyone trying to get top dollar, because that is what I am trying to do. But I never dicker or really even talk, just either buy or walk. Hey that rhymes, haha!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I tell them, "if it sells for $30, I'll pay you $3. I have to cover gas, my car, my envelopes, my internet, the cost of things that never sell or get broken or returned. On top of all of that, I need to make something too. If you want more than $3, I suggest you try ebay. You may get $30!"

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
You and me and everybody wants to get retail. I never begrudge anyone trying to get top dollar, because that is what I am trying to do. But I never dicker or really even talk, just either buy or walk. Hey that rhymes, haha!

If they are close to my 10% normal buying price point, I will try to get them down. Then its buy or walk...

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time I'll buy close to 'listed at' price is if it's something I collect for myself, not for resale, where I can check condition firsthand and don't have to pay shipping. For instance, I was at an estate sale the other day and the prices were high, but I like Haeger pottery and am willing to pay more at an estate or yard sale because I can check for chips/cracks and don't have to pay for the cost of shipping pottery! There were a couple of pickers who were loudly ranting about the prices and I think that's just poor form. If it's too expensive just move on... I don't want to hear several times, through several rooms, how disgusted you are - especially when you've got a decently priced machinist tool box in your arms that I want! Lol.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see estate sale companies price things at retail if they think they can get it, and a lot of times they do. The second day will be 20% off and the last day 50%, so they have that as back up. Just last week I went back to a sale on the second day to buy a microphone I wanted only to find out it had sold the first day. At full ebay retail + $5 or $10!

Like I say, I don't blame them. I envy them.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see estate sale companies price things at retail if they think they can get it, and a lot of times they do. The second day will be 20% off and the last day 50%, so they have that as back up. Just last week I went back to a sale on the second day to buy a microphone I wanted only to find out it had sold the first day. At full ebay retail + $5 or $10!

Like I say, I don't blame them. I envy them.

I saw a used Honeywell thermostat at an estate sale, had to have been a late 80s, or early 90's model. $60. You can imagine how the other prices were - needless the say I left that place empty handed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread