Guess whether these are gold?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these two rings for $5 a piece. The first one has a real opal stone, not sure on the red ones although they look like something for sure. No gold wearing off anywhere, no markings either, to me it looks like 9k or 10k, but could definitely be gold filled. The second ring has what looks to me an old amethyst, again no gold wearing off. Looks very old and is tarnished. Weird thing is that I have a solid 14k wrist watch from 1915 that tarnished in the same exact way.....
20170526_154324_resized.jpg 20170526_154331_resized.jpg 20170526_154338_resized.jpg 20170526_154618_resized.jpg 20170526_154623_resized.jpg 20170526_154634_resized.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My instincts say No on both. The first one i would say is iffy based on the setting as it seems high quality.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I believe the second ring to be gold is because of this solid 14k watch I have, check out the tarnish!
20170205_173221_resized.jpg

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright well here is my argument for an against the first ring..

-Unique/antique looking setting.. I have never encountered a ring set like that and it doesn't have that "junky" look. Doesn't mean gold, but could be antique gold filled.

-You say the opal is real, any ring where the stone(s) are real is a sign in the right direction.

-The back cut of the ruby looking stone looks strange to me, but I'm not super familiar with how they cut them in a ring like this.. See the 2nd and and 3rd picture, looks almost like it was rounded off? Again, an unknown for me is neutral vote, because I haven't seen costume like this either.

Now the final observations..

-Inside the ring, there appears to be a few scratches which show no discoloration.. good sign for gold. (Both that it can be scratched seemingly easily and that there is no coloration)

-Picture 2.. The inside of the ring on the right side clearly has a marking does it not? Possibly with a portion worn off? Can't quite tell. If it's worn, my vote is gold.

From everything I've seen from the pictures I'd say it is gold. The good thing about it is - even if it isn't gold - it is a nice, antique/unique looking, possibly gold filled, costume ring. And I could probably get my $5 back out of it honestly and would buy without worry.

The second ring I won't comment much on because I can't see enough from the pictures, but here are my observations.

-The design of the ring puts it in a right direction, but not to say that costume jewelry couldn't have this.

-The stone appears to be a simple fake (I'm not gemologist just how it looks from the photo to me)

-I cannot see the inside of the band and the lighting is somewhat dark for me to be able to see the color of the entire ring.

From the looks of it, I'm leaning away from gold just going off of the pictures. I would say obviously worst case scenario a nice costume ring, which again you could probably get your $5 back out of. Due to the lighting in the photos/discoloration I'd have to say it appears to more likely be possibly rolled gold/gold filled or complete costume..Not saying it can't be real, if it is its likely a low karat 10 or 9k and the stone I still think is probably fake. Either way I'd have definitely inspected this ring carefully myself and may have even walked away with it not knowing for sure.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one is for sure 10k and the second one came up as 8k so i guess its either plated or filled. Still worth 5 bucks though. So im not sure but the 10k ring has an opal and maybe topaz? Ill have it checked out but for 5 bucks score!! Weighs 3.3 grams and is really old.

lucky6

Jun 11, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Dfx Spectrum
Not sure what means were used to test the second ring at 8K, but it is quite possible that it is not plated or filled but solid 8K and at current gold prices the metal alone would be valued at $44.78. An item this dated should have some wear visible on the edges exposing the base metal underneath the plating if it were plated. I'm aware of items that were made of as low as 6k solid gold. Have a jeweler with the proper equipment(XRF gun)test the item to know for sure.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I had them electronically tested but the guy told me when it comes up as 8k it usually means plate or filled.... The ring itself has NO visible wearing spots unless the tarnish is covering up something I do not see. It is very old so maybe it is solid 8k but I have no idea anymore lol. The first one with 3 stones is for sure 10k though!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I had them electronically tested but the guy told me when it comes up as 8k it usually means plate or filled.... The ring itself has NO visible wearing spots unless the tarnish is covering up something I do not see. It is very old so maybe it is solid 8k but I have no idea anymore lol. The first one with 3 stones is for sure 10k though!

When I electronically test and get a very high karat reading but when testing in a different spot get a much lower reading it is usually gold filled. Then if it to got into my melt pile I file a deep V and test that spot. Getting down deeper than the surface will let you know the real answer.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woohoo congrats. Looks like your instincts were right to buy. Patting myself on the back for at least getting the first one right. That's $5 I wouldn't be out right now :P

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So he tested it twice in different positions, popped up as 8k both times no big deviations.... So I assume it is indeed 8k solid? Still need the stone looked at, it's something other than plastic, also looks hand chiseled not man made.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are some higher quality pictures, really note the engraving on the side! It's really hard to picture but the ring is gold all the way around. No metal color underneath beside tarnish which I would assume a low karat of gold would do over an extended period of time.
20170528_144258_resized.jpg 20170528_144303_resized.jpg 20170528_144311_001_resized.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No metal color underneath beside tarnish which I would assume a low karat of gold would do over an extended period of time.
One of the metals that is mixed with 999 gold is silver and another is copper. They both tarnish, so you are correct. It could possibly tarnish like that.

My opinion, do not melt. Polish and sell as antique on feeBay.

lucky6

Jun 11, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Dfx Spectrum
My advice to anyone looking for any item of value...educate yourself at least enough to be efficient at determining what it is that you have found...there is a crook waiting around every corner to take advantage of your lack of knowledge...when gold or any precious metals or diamonds are involved it would be wise to have your own equipment to test these items yourself...unfortunately people prey at every level on others lack of knowledge..we ourselves are guilty of creating opportunities for ourselves at the lack of awareness of others...don't make the same mistakes and you will prosper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread