Newport gold and silver.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I took a day trip to Newport RI yesterday. Now let me quickly tell you about Newport if you haven't ever been there. Newport RI is a very wealthy island with some of the largest most beautiful mansions on the eastern seaboard. They have a small flea market that sets up once a month over the spring through fall. While walking to the market, we stopped at a small yard sale in front of a gorgeous home. My wife spotted a sterling weighted candlestick for $3.00. It was pretty beat up so it quickly went into my scrap stock. At the market, my wife spotted an antique stick pin in a box full of stuff. She hunted me down and asked me to check it out and the guy wanted $10 for it. We go over and she locates the pin and I check it out. I can see 10k stamped in the pin so I talk to the seller for a bit and offer $7.00. He said deal!! Score! We think the stone is pink tourmaline. It's only 1.1 g (with stone) but I think the value is the stone and that it's an antique piece. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496025619.129536.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496025634.186948.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started a collection of gold only stickpins on the visor of my truck. I'm up to five stuck in it now. It seems gold antique stickpins have gained some momentum in sales on eBay I've noticed. Many are selling well over gold weight and I'm hold'n on to them now. Sure wish I could have got that one for 7 bucks.

Last edited:

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately most of the ones that I've run into have been complete costume. Think I still have one that is gold filled that I found in a thrift store jewelry box a few years back.. but come to think if it not sure that I've ever had a solid gold one in my possession.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newport is my home town. As a kid in the 70s I would go to yard sales and buy stuff and a kind gentleman at lamplighter antiques would put them on consignment for me. The stuff I got back then was just amazing. Wish I could go back in time with what I know now. And you're absolutely correct it is one of the most beautiful places in the country. Thank you for bringing back fond memories.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newport is my home town. As a kid in the 70s I would go to yard sales and buy stuff and a kind gentleman at lamplighter antiques would put them on consignment for me. The stuff I got back then was just amazing. Wish I could go back in time with what I know now. And you're absolutely correct it is one of the most beautiful places in the country. Thank you for bringing back fond memories.

That's really cool and you're very welcome. We love going to Newport. The cliff walk is spectacular and one of our favorite places to look for sea glass is there as well. Lots of pirate history too!

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately most of the ones that I've run into have been complete costume. Think I still have one that is gold filled that I found in a thrift store jewelry box a few years back.. but come to think if it not sure that I've ever had a solid gold one in my possession.

Keep looking. And keep an eye out for the unmarked ones. A couple of weeks ago I bought a small jewelry box full of stuff for$5.00. In the lot there were two antique stick pins that I thought had potential. I was right! Both were unmarked ( pretty common from what I've learned). They both acid tested positive for sterling and 14k. The sterling one has a small natural silver nugget! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496062899.622637.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep looking. And keep an eye out for the unmarked ones. A couple of weeks ago I bought a small jewelry box full of stuff for$5.00. In the lot there were two antique stick pins that I thought had potential. I was right! Both were unmarked ( pretty common from what I've learned). They both acid tested positive for sterling and 14k. The sterling one has a small natural silver nugget! View attachment 1456265

Is the one on the right a specimen Gold Nugget? If it is it could make it worth significantly more.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many a treasure to be had in newport. I have had great success with the metal detector in newport especially at east beach. Way to much history in that town for it not to have some hidden treasures. That stick pin is gorgeous, and yes if that is tourmaline of that shade it is pretty valuable. Great deal, great find, congrats.

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great piece!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy I would sure like to have a couple permissions in that town. I would often dream about metal detecting some of those estates along the breakers as I walked to the beach. Imagine the parties during the great gatsby days. Got to be some great treasure locked up in those manicured estate lawns.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh you know it!! Between those and all of the many early 18th century homes in town, there has to be a ton of good stuff just screamin to get out of the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread