billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An estate is closing down after several sales. What's left is being let go for pennies or FREE.... Below are pics of TWO single cylinder motorcycle engines that are actually "baling wired" to each of two of four legs to a parts cleaning tub. It appears the person wanted to keep them for some reason.They are missing the exhaust headers/mufflers and the carbs.... Same brand, but one is aluminum color and one is black. Both have "1600mi" stamped on the lower cylinder block. Should I get them? How much do you think engines in ??? condition are worth?

Outside, under a metal covered awning is the third engine. It is a 4cylinder V Yamaha with a U-joint showing it's a shaft drive. And a fourth Yamaha inline 4 cylinder engine which looks about 90% complete and has what seems like a monster size chain drive.

I'm not a motorcycle guy, but I'm really in a quandary as to if I should get these for free and take them home.... What's your thinking??

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    480.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id go for it. Engines are usually quite easy to identify and if they are free, you stand to make some money selling them off as parts.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too bad they weren't flathead 45's, knuckle or pan heads. Might be able to make a few bucks off of them on Craigslist or in a classic rice burner forum.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is always somebody looking for a cylinder head, crank or obscure part that needs replacing. Be the guy that has it lol

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd go for it but only if you have the space and energy to deal with it. Saving history is one thing but storing junk is an entirely different matter.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free. Yes. You just never know.

pjdentry

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price is right. Put them up on Craigslist and if they don't sell you can always take them in for scrap.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe they are all seized and the good stuff has been striped off.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend called one day, said the technical school was selling off some old stuff they didn't use anymore...my find- 3 Honda ATC 350X engines...new, never ran...one had the rocker cover loosened the other two were untouched..bought all 3 for $300 and 2 days later they were all gone at $1000 each...was an engine made for 2 years 85 and 86, and highly sought after by engine builders and racers, it was a popular swap for the ATC 250X and a lot of guys stuffed them into the TRX 250R quads to make a decent 4 stroke racer....Ddf

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FREE is my favorite four letter word that starts with F. You can't beat free. I haul every free car/bike/? part I can get my hands on and research it. The worst you will do is scrap metal.
I have pulled Honda mini trail 50 and 70 parts that will shock you when they sell. Rare Dodge heads, early Chevy engines, corvette engines, etc.. Get to know your regular Estate handlers. They will welcome you and call you when their sales are ending to Haul off the "Junk" They hate finding spots to put the stuff and the labor to get it there. And no offense to the young ladies but as a rule they run the shows and there interest in engine and car parts is usually about Zero

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread