Found a Yukon gold panning antique !

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
This has been one of my favorite thrift shop finds. There is a wooden piece in it that has "George Newton, Yukon Territory, Dawson City" inscribed on it. I'm sure this treasure is from the Yukon gold rush. I live in the Mother Lode and a lot of the 49ers left the Calif gold rush to work in the Yukon. This relic must have belonged to a miner who settled in this area & their family donated it to the thrift shop. I couldn't believe my luck! And, I got the whole thing for $15. It's pretty fragile but intact. It's put together with straight slot screws that are consistant with that time period.

I'm not at all sure how that metal piece works. If anyone could tell me more about this item I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• klondike 002.JPG
    klondike 002.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,112
  • klondike 003.JPG
    klondike 003.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,807
  • klondike 004.JPG
    klondike 004.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,873

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I have never seen one of those but I am sure it is very valuable...Check to see if any have been sold on Ebay to get an idea of value.
Pepperpump :D

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Looks like a small sluice box. Post on the Gold forum and I bet you get lots of information.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A real Treasure for sure.

Fossis............

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is going to hopefully get the juices stirred up a little here. My partner at work brought one of those in a while back. She said that it was some sort of nail box. It held nails a certain way to make it easier on the carpenter. Now I want to put both of these stories together and find out what it REALLY is!
Maybe you could repost this in the "What is it" section where it would get more exposure and someone will be able to tell us how it would work.

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
I took a better look at it and the nail box thing makes sense. The inner box, which has metal on the floor, is just the right size to funnel nails into that metal gadget. The outer box with the lid is also metal lined and has one corner lowered a little bit & would be perfect for funneling nails into the inner box. I'll post a photo over in "what's it". Whatever it is, it was at the Yukon. Pretty cool!

S

stefen

pepperpump said:
I have never seen one of those but I am sure it is very valuable...Check to see if any have been sold on Ebay to get an idea of value.
Pepperpump :D

As we are all aware, the biggest problem with identifying widgets is to find the actual name or classification for a key-word search.

And it could be that the parts are not related...this also could hamstring the research...

Fortunagtely forums such as this provides exposure opportunities that are not available elsewhere...

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
I posted it on "what is it" so we'll see if anyone else has more ideas on it.

Stefen, nice ride! What year is it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread