May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of band is that JimDon? Nice watch by the way!

It is a Aifeier Tito Alligator strap. Came with the watch.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the dial is correct but has definitely been repainted at least the lettering the spacing and height of the letters are off. Nothing is straight. I have said it before and will again. Rolex dials are perfect. If you can find a flaw in the dial it has been repainted or it is fake!
The watch is definitely the real deal. They came in 14K and 18K Yours is a 14k I don't think you got burned but I would not have Ponied up the 1800 for it. I would have wanted it in the 1200 range. The rework on the dial and the Wrong hands is a kiss of death to the collector. Sure you can source an original dial but it will set you back.
Never send your watch to Rolex for service At their discretion they will swap out parts including the Dial and hands replacing them with "Service dials and hands" and charge you! Not to mention they are Expensive! An original early 60's GMT Dial and Hand set is North of 5 figures now!

Until you guys get to know the ins and outs (and there are a ton of them) of Rolex. Don't fall in love with the brand! Do your homework. My education cost me plenty in paying too much because it was a ROLEX I get calls all the time (and texted pics) from guys that are asking if this Rolex they can buy for 2 or 3K is worth it. Just got one yesterday on an Air King from 1957. 3K? It was not worth 900.

There should be a model number at 12 o'clock between the lugs and the serial number at 6 o'clock You can look the serial u on line to get a date of manufacture. If they are gone the watch at one time was probably stolen and polished off if it is partially gone like the middle is out the band wore through the numbers

Keep the watch and Enjoy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread