I went to a Garage Sale.....and found a job

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I was a stay at home Dad and raised 3 kids. I usually held some kind of part time job, such as checking quality for auto makers and their suppliers, but for the most part my job was taking care of the kids, and my wife, who made the money. I had 3 kids in 3 years and towards the end of their high school years I did not work. Well, my oldest got married and the middle child works in a warehouse, but my youngest went to college. I figured I would get a job so that she could graduate from college without any debt. Before I began looking, however, it was garage sale season last year. So I went to a community sale, it was full of people. I parked in front of someones house and a car pulls up real slowly next to me. I can't see who it is because the windows are tinted, but from the silhouette I can see he is looking my way. I thought maybe I was in his parking spot in front of his house so I was waiting for him to roll down the window and tell me, then I would move. But he didn't, he just kept looking my way. Finally I became irate and got out of my car and started walking towards his. He then rolled down the window and started laughing at me. I knew him. We started talking. After a while he asked me if I knew what he did. I said yes, you are an engineer. He said, you know I have a driver. I said yeah, I remember you saying that. He says, I need a new one. So, due to my garage sales, I found a new job as a driver for the 3 engineers in the office. I drive them around and they call clients and work on their computers writing reports. Best part is, it is only 2 or 3 days a week, so I can still do garage sales:icon_king:

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.:occasion14:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you, glad that your friend gave you that opportunity. Bet you find some great items at those sales!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sound like a great dad to me! I may be in similar shoes. I have been f/t employed by the same small biz since 2005. I'm 32, about to get married, and my fiance makes more cheddar than me, so chances are I'll be stay-at-homing and flipping treasures on the internet and caring for our kids. Jokes on her thought because my internet antiquing business will make 6 figures and she doesn't believe me yet. Hahah

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is just great. I am thrilled for you.

OP
OP
GarageSaleKing

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like a great dad to me! I may be in similar shoes. I have been f/t employed by the same small biz since 2005. I'm 32, about to get married, and my fiance makes more cheddar than me, so chances are I'll be stay-at-homing and flipping treasures on the internet and caring for our kids. Jokes on her thought because my internet antiquing business will make 6 figures and she doesn't believe me yet. Hahah

Yeah, it sounds very similar to me. I made pretty good cash before I took care of the kids working on the line at Honda building cars. My wife, well, she is a type A personality, and it is hard for her to just be home all the time. She is a nurse and made about the same as me, so she went to work and I stayed home with the kids. I wanted the kids to be raised by a stay at home parent. I also believe that the person who stays at home needs to take care of the home. So I raised the kids, did all the laundry, cut the grass, cooked the food, cleaned the dishes, and cleaned the house. I told my wife, who works 3 shifts of 12 hours each week, that on her off days she can just relax and do what she wants. So she continued with her education, went out with friends, or just hung around the house. It worked out pretty well for us.:icon_king:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread