Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....in the eye of the beholder.... different metals found

Some silver jewelry this weekend, but no gold found. Today, I found a $1 dollar brass 4-arm candle sconce. It weighs 2.75lbs. and scrap yellow brass is currently about $1.50 lb., so quadrupling a small purchase is always good....:tongue3:

However, I did find reels with hundreds of feet of copper wiring at a sale Friday morning. The smaller the number the bigger the copper inside the wiring. All the various rolls of #12, #8, and #6 copper wire seen in the photo below, and the heavy #2/0 copper cable ended up costing $65. The yellow single run copper cable seen hung on top of the two-wheel dolly weighs 36 lbs. including the thin insulation. I'll use it and other heavy copper cables for my electric welder's "240 volt extension cord" for the welding of my solar panel ground mount that's a long way from the nearest 240v outlet. Because it is old I'll strip off the estimated 6lbs. of rubber insulation. At $2.15 a lb. for the remaining 30lbs., because of the fine wire making up the large diameter, as #2 copper, that single cable will bring $64 at the scrapyard....

Here is the diamond ring with gold overlaid on silver. It's worn smooth in most high points and the appearance takes a bit of getting used to....... When it was mixed in with old costume jewelry in an old paper/cardboard jewelry box, except for the shiny stone, the silver shank had turned every part of the ring a dirty black. Haven't tested the karat purity of the overlaid gold or the silver, but the Tri Electronics' DIAMOND PRO dual tester shows the diamond is real. With my micrometer, it measures 200/1000 from inside the mounting rim to inside the mounting rim which is equal to 5.1mm size of a 1/2 carat diamond. I can't tell how much more goes under the rim mounting to say it could be a larger size. This, a small 10kt aquamarine ring, and a gold necklace were mixed in the two old jewelry boxes my wife paid a total of $20 several weeks ago.

Should I pick it apart for the metals and diamond or is it worth more like it is?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• garage sale finds 033.JPG
    garage sale finds 033.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 101
  • garage sale finds #12 single run copper wire 039.JPG
    garage sale finds #12 single run copper wire 039.JPG
    658.7 KB · Views: 96
  • garage sale finds 034.JPG
    garage sale finds 034.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 111
  • garage sale finds 042.JPG
    garage sale finds 042.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 113
  • garage sale finds 045.JPG
    garage sale finds 045.JPG
    510.2 KB · Views: 125
  • garage sale finds 049.JPG
    garage sale finds 049.JPG
    476 KB · Views: 139
  • garage sale finds 050.JPG
    garage sale finds 050.JPG
    460.6 KB · Views: 112
  • garage sale finds 052.JPG
    garage sale finds 052.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score. Id leave the ring as is, personally and sell it as a whole.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah don't pull that thing apart. Probably get $200 the way it sits if not more. That's a nice looking ring right there!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah don't pull that thing apart. Probably get $200 the way it sits if not more. That's a nice looking ring right there!

If you have a half carat than $200 I said is way low. There's nothing to compare to online but what is up there is awful looking anyways. I think it will take a special buyer but I think you'll make a good amount as well.

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the wire find!

Unused wire is one of the few base metal scrap items I can still consistently find at garage sales for under scrap price. If it doesn't sell at the flea market, I scrap it the following week. Your find is even better because it's an item you'll use.

I usually pick up a piece of brass or two every weekend as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread