AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, I love inert ordnance - I would have been very happy to pick that little guy up.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm happy this thread popped up! I have one of these little inert "bombs" in my storage, complete with the oversized signal charge inside. I've never actually tried looking it up but now i know what it is.

Ill get some pics today of it with the signal charge.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As promised, my WWII practice round with flare charge intact. I picked this up from the estate of a retired Air Force Colonel that lived in Burbank. It was in a box full of old German uniform patches, shell casings of all sizes and lots of war photos.

Attachments

• IMG_4936.JPG
    IMG_4936.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4937.JPG
    IMG_4937.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4938.JPG
    IMG_4938.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 91

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm happy this thread popped up! I have one of these little inert "bombs" in my storage, complete with the oversized signal charge inside. I've never actually tried looking it up but now i know what it is.

Ill get some pics today of it with the signal charge.
Please make sure it is actually a practice bomb? I get nervous when I hear persons saying they don't know what something is and then say it is inert. Just make sure thats all!
I took in a batch of old WW2 stuff and inherited a VERY live Grenade. The guy that sold it to me said that it was his grandfathers and he used to try to play with it as a kid. Come on People!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching aquachiggers Metal detecting video on YouTube and this guy starts banging a live shell they just pulled from a river with a rock. Kind of scary.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please make sure it is actually a practice bomb? I get nervous when I hear persons saying they don't know what something is and then say it is inert. Just make sure thats all!
I took in a batch of old WW2 stuff and inherited a VERY live Grenade. The guy that sold it to me said that it was his grandfathers and he used to try to play with it as a kid. Come on People!

Its inert. I made sure to throw it on the ground, nose first, repeatedly before bringing it inside so its good to go.

If you look down the middle, its a smooth cylinder with just a firing pin assembly at the tip, held by that cotter pin. The shell gets loaded and upon impact, gravity makes it fire, sending a report from down range. Its completely harmless

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its inert. I made sure to throw it on the ground, nose first, repeatedly before bringing it inside so its good to go.

If you look down the middle, its a smooth cylinder with just a firing pin assembly at the tip, held by that cotter pin. The shell gets loaded and upon impact, gravity makes it fire, sending a report from down range. Its completely harmless

LOL reminds me of my first duty station. The Guys gave me a hammer and told me to ping every MK-82, 500 lb bomb on the nose to perform a dud check.

If you know anything about munitions, it was perfectly safe but still.....in the back of my brain i was not feeling the love.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rest easy...the only harm my bomb could do is if I dropped it on my foot. Just a hollow cast iron shell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread