Huge Lot of Vintage Slides

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I was at an estate sale last week of a retired university veterinarian professor. It looked like this man kept everything he ever owned. The entire basement was full of stuff. There was so much the company running the sale was letting people rummage through & would price your finds on the spot.

Among other things I picked up over 40 Kodak Ready-File slide boxes filled with slides & a large cardboard box of slides. I bought the lot for the slide boxes but am wondering if I can do something with the slides. Most of the ones I've looked at are obviously for class lectures. There is one lot of 100+ slides of reptiles and amphibians of the Southeast that should sell. There are also vintage travel slides, older pictures of the university (existing buildings & ones under construction), what look like fraternity pictures, pictures of various internal organs, pictures from the operating room....pretty much anything you might expect to see from a teaching hospital. There were several boxes of various sizes that I left.

I've been invited back Wednesday for first shot at what's left at half price. I'm considering making a deal for all the remaining slides. The problem is the time that would be involved in sorting through the boxes, picking out the lecture slides, & categorizing the rest. Seems like every time I buy something like that I either let it sit until I'm tired of looking at it & donate or spend so much time that I don't make minimum wage. What would y'all do??

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like ya said time equals money. At least that's what I got out of it. Seems like too much legwork for not too much money in the long run. Unless you just like looking at old slides that is. Nothing wrong with that either. I know I have some myself to list one year or another.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Like ya said time equals money. At least that's what I got out of it. Seems like too much legwork for not too much money in the long run. Unless you just like looking at old slides that is. Nothing wrong with that either. I know I have some myself to list one year or another.

That's where I've been leaning. I'll probably take another quick look while I'm there. Seems like vintage travel slide lots sell fairly well. If I can pick up those in a separate box and avoid the sorting it could be worthwhile.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travel slides especially ones of fishing hunting camping and pictures of the cars and hotels especially the signs. I would guess there is a light box in the basement as well where you can line up 20 slides at a time. I would buy it all and do a fast cherry pick and donate the rest. It should be a very cheap purchase.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travel slides especially ones of fishing hunting camping and pictures of the cars and hotels especially the signs. I would guess there is a light box in the basement as well where you can line up 20 slides at a time. I would buy it all and do a fast cherry pick and donate the rest. It should be a very cheap purchase.

I would do the same as Trdking. Move fast, do not spend a lot of time looking at them. Line up a couple of boxes, mark them i.e. travel, animals etc. Look at the slide and toss in the correct box and sell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread