Fabulous Treasures Found by Dumb Luck!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still can believe how lucky I am to have these things in my possession, not to mention I've only scratched the surface of what's there.

After a long day at work on Friday, I headed out just a few minutes early so I could pick up my car from the mechanic but on a whim I decided to stop by an estate sale in my childhood neighborhood.

The sale was pure junk but as I walked back down the street, I stopped by another garage sale that was taking advantage of the foot traffic. As I started to dig in the garage, I found out quickly this wasn't normal stuff.

Every box contained unique pieces of glass, California art pottery and silver plate/Sterling dishes!

I have so much stuff to photograph so you'll have to settle for these three now.

The bracket looks pretty old but I've had no luck finding out the hallmark. It's LCW and the bracelet looks like onyx and marcasite set in Sterling.

The hand mirror is stamped made in France with a small portrait on the backside. It's very well made with beveled glass and ornate brass adornments. There was a second mirror but it had no picture and a bend in the handle so I left it behind. I don't even know where to start for a date or value on this thing.

The pen is a Wearever with a green body and gold dot chains across the whole thing. The nib is 14k plate

Last, but not least, was a little iridescent vase I though the GF might like. It was one of a few that had a mark so in the box it went. As it turns out, Imperial art glass is quite collectible

I was the only person there and they closed up as I left but I have their info and an invite to go rummage through the back bedroom and attic later this week. I'll post more finds as I get them.

Attachments

• IMG_6540.JPG
    IMG_6540.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_6543.JPG
    IMG_6543.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6535.JPG
    IMG_6535.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 138

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Those are some great finds! And not even the place you were originally headed for. It just goes to show that yard sales are sometimes like people. You can’t judge a book by its cover. Great finds Big C!

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Also like the looks of that table theyre on.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Also like the looks of that table theyre on.

Thanks. The table was another find from a previous sale. Here is the silver pieces I found. I've no idea how many were already sold but I think I did pretty good for being so late.

The middle size dish is a RLB Sterling and the small is a Frank M. Whiting The really ornate dish has a nearly unreadable hallmark. I've taken a picture through a 16x loupe and that didn't help very much.

Attachments

• IMG_6545.JPG
    IMG_6545.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_6546.JPG
    IMG_6546.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 140
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I did a bot of looking on the hallmark (polishing it made it much easier) but I'm leaning towards it being William Devenport. The only problem I have with that is the lack of other British marks. The second mark appears to be a 43

I'm really lost on this but hopefully somebody will have some more info. I'll take a much larger picture tomorrow and post it for all to see.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get on the bedroom and attic right now! You are not the only one that knows its there. Do it now or lose your position. Been there done that Both ways Grabs those carrots

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds I especially like the green pen.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get on the bedroom and attic right now! You are not the only one that knows its there. Do it now or lose your position. Been there done that Both ways Grabs those carrots

Well i was planning on calling them today to go back into the house. They only mentioned it to me after we got on the subject of records. I was shown photos of an old phonograph that they wanted to sell and after that the attic/back bedroom was mentioned. Nobody else has been in the house, even myself. The whole sale took place on the driveway/garage and adjacent file room.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! You cleaned up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread