diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this 12"x 12" framed mirror for a while. Don't even remember where I got it. I do remember doing a search for it after I bought it and not finding anything. Which is why I set it aside. I went searching again today since I have a Worthpoint subscription and again I can't find any past sales or even another one online anywhere. It depicts the cover of their self titled debut album which was released back in '77. Why can't I find another example? Is it really that rare? I wanna list it. I may do an auction with it since I have no idea of it's value. Granted face value it isn't worth much but there are some dedicated fans out there, not to mention Punk Rock stuff is pretty hot right now. Anybody seen another?

IMG_4885 (1280x1113).jpg
IMG_4888 (1280x1198).jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue but I do know Pearl Jam concert posters go for a fortune.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, this looks like the type of rock mirrors they used to give out as prizes at the local carnivals in the early 80s. My understanding is that these were all bootleg items and not officially licensed products.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, this looks like the type of rock mirrors they used to give out as prizes at the local carnivals in the early 80s. My understanding is that these were all bootleg items and not officially licensed products.
Thanks for that information. That's exactly what it is by the looks of it. Oh and it's 13" x 13" not 12x12. Looks like some of the Kiss mirrors go for the most. I'll list it at auction with a semi low starting bid and see what happens. Their stuff is pretty collectible.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I recall three kinds of these Mirrors back in the day.

First where the ones with the wood, fibreboard and cardboard backing plates that where 13X13. Mainly Rock, Pop and Metal bands with very few Country performers. These where show purchases, some record shops would sell them and even Head shops (not sure what a head shop these days is called.

Then a more modern version came out I think around 81 or 82. They where 12X12, had plastic frames and a crummy paper backing that in time would stick to the mirror and cause the mirror to peal. Good record shops never touched these knock offs, head shops however picked them up fast and of course stores like Spencer Gifts where all over them.

The 12X12 versions made it into the carny circle but soon to follow where the cheap little 7X7 versions, by then you could get whiskey ones, naked chick ones, even a few knock off topless Samantha Fox copies where out there from her albums but also the 13X13 that where still being made.

This is what I can recall from these my self. Last one I got was a 13X13 Metalica Black around 93 when I got my hands on there limited Mask CD 22 or 2500. I kept collecting records up until around 95 but that faded off. My cousin collected these and the albums, and when he died back in 2000 I had been given his collection of these Mirrors and his albums, had to head down to South Africa and get everything transported back state side. I can not recall exactly how man albums he left me, we both had a large collections, but I remember the exact number of 13X13 mirrors because I had hand wrapped all of them, stuff each one into a pizza box and then packed them into larger boxes that held 10 each with pillow stuffing.

But when it was all said and done, and I was asked inventory by the insurance company I had given the amount of records but did not keep track of the mirrors, but my wife right away said 418 mirrors. I looked at her and said are you sure, she was like how could you not be, together we killed a small forest packing that stuff. She was a little pissy about it all. LOL

Got all that back to the states, decided to check each record and bag and seal each one back up, then did my records so that both could go into long term storage. Then checked all the mirrors too because the bags I got from the record shop I had seen some of the 13X13s I had and my cousin had and they wanted on some of them 400 bucks and this was back in 2000. The guy asked if I had some and I said yes but mine where in storage and my cousins are in storage as well. He could tell that since I spent a couple thousand on album bags that I was not selling anything and wanted to know how I was storing them, I said brown paper wrap in pizza boxes. He thought the pizza boxes where a good idea but said I should go get some butcher paper rolls and use that instead. Figured he knew what he was talking about so I did.

Funny this thread should come up even; about 2 months ago I was talking with someone about albums and he brought up having some that price over 60K. So I had started checking around on some of my records and ended up on Ebay with there crazy high prices and saw some mirrors there too and had to laugh at some of the prices they where asking for them. I mean who knew, already back then 13s new sold for around 40 bucks each, then when the bootlegs came out they sold for 60 bucks starting off.

No idea who buys this stuff, my wife told me I should got get it all out of storage and sell it. I told her that I seriously did not think there was a market for such a large collection, but if she wanted to actually put in the time then she could go on and catalogue everything and sell it all off. She just got this big smile and said we have money, and no amount of money would get me to go through all that stuff. She said that if I gave her a list then she would forward that to some auction houses.

But I am not getting up anytime soon to drive to Texas just to grab a darn list locked away in some old files. Back when I repacked everything in 2000 I made a list of everything. I always keep inventory list on the items I collect or have collected, but it is just for insurance reasons.

What I would like to know is exactly who comes up with these wild prices placed on stuff, sure some things like guns, knives, coins... That all makes sense, but other items like this of booze. I had a nice size booze collection when I came back state side and mad e a killing off of it, just stuff folks gave me as gifts. I am not a person who drinks but you can bet if I do its going to be some tall boy and cheap, maybe a six pack if I really want to spend some money. LOL

Anyway, thats about all I know about these things. Good luck to you with selling it if that is what you are after. I would try an old record shop; good luck finding one these days not run by some hipster. You need one ran by a big weather fella that carries a large stick.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hated The Clash way back when, but love it when "Rock the Casbah" comes on the radio now.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say it looked like a kind of sketchy screen print, glad someone chimed in with the carnival prize answer. The grand tradition of bootleg fair prizes stretches back a ways I see. Cool find!

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Oddjob.....so, you mean to tell us, you have 400+ of these...haha..that is a lot. I remember the Samantha Fox ones too.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say it looked like a kind of sketchy screen print, glad someone chimed in with the carnival prize answer. The grand tradition of bootleg fair prizes stretches back a ways I see. Cool find!
:cussing: Don't be calling my mirror sketchy looking!

Just kidding! :laughing7:

I hated The Clash way back when, but love it when "Rock the Casbah" comes on the radio now.
I find myself doing that to many songs that I hated back in the day. I'll think to myself, what I am doing? I hate that song! lol

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think sketchy might have been the wrong word, but based on the registration and print quality I would have guessed it wasn't licensed. That's certainly not a problem though, period bootlegs can be very valuable, sometimes even more than the originals. I know as a vintage clothing person I'm almost always just as happy with a period knockoff as an original. Modern knockoff is another story, never good.

Anyways, cool find again, good luck selling it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread