Dixon books all 1st editions signed....might be offensive to some!

Sterling

Jan 24, 2012
central, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Been a while since I've been on, but had to post one of my most recent finds...4 1st edition and all signed by the Author Dixon, and signed over to another Author...I paid 1.25 for five book...I have been offered 550.00 so far..from a book store...should I wait to sell them? It's a story about a he Klu Klux Klan.... image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a book store is offering that much, I wonder what the actual value is. Nice books. Let me do a little research. I'll be back.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice it is signed to George Hamlin Fitch? He was a noted writer himself.

George Hamlin Fitch(1852 - 1925), American author, critic, and reviewer, was one of the most influential critics in the history of American literature. Writing in the early part of the twentieth century, he analyzed his subjects in detail and provided entirely new interpretations. Fitch is known for the depth of his thoughts and for his unique points of view. For more than thirty years, in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, George Hamlin Fitch wrote a weekly column for the Sunday book page of the San Francisco Chronicle and later collected in his 1911 book, "Comfort Found in Good Old Books".
Some of his other works include Great Spiritual Writers of America (1916) and Modern English Books of Power(1912).

I haven't found any that have sold for that high yet. Did find a set that was signed and not in as good condition, it sold for only $133.61 in March of 2015. Here... https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1901-1911-collection-1st-edition-1722576737

1901-1911-collection-1st-edition_1_e9966bb1d762c5a049de05a4667f80d7.jpg

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
You should sell; I collect books my self, rarely do they go up in value and often go down in value.

When a book shop is offering that much on a set that you would get about 90 bucks for, then it is either a personal purchase or it is on someone’s list. I have about 30 shops in Europe, Asia and North America with my want list as well, what the lowest grade I would accept and price I would pay.

Its likely on someones list, so if it where something I fell into, and having no interest at all in that set I would place it on Biblio.com. Lots of collectors surf that site as well as brokers. Put it on for 750 to test the water.

Well unless it means something to you.

But a warning, getting lucky once or a few times even on paper does not make it a good investment to attempt an extra income in. I have a wonderful collection, I know many others with great collections, but the only people I have ever met who could make a go at selling rare paper are those who inherit our collection. Never met a person who just invested and knocked it out of the park. It always starts as one person passion who like me got some great deals over a long time but also over spent on many more items.

If books are not your thing and you have a chance to nail such a profit, then sell it because they will likely only loose value just keeping them.

Just my thoughts,

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should sell; I collect books my self, rarely do they go up in value and often go down in value.

When a book shop is offering that much on a set that you would get about 90 bucks for, then it is either a personal purchase or it is on someone’s list. I have about 30 shops in Europe, Asia and North America with my want list as well, what the lowest grade I would accept and price I would pay.

Its likely on someones list, so if it where something I fell into, and having no interest at all in that set I would place it on Biblio.com. Lots of collectors surf that site as well as brokers. Put it on for 750 to test the water.

Well unless it means something to you.

But a warning, getting lucky once or a few times even on paper does not make it a good investment to attempt an extra income in. I have a wonderful collection, I know many others with great collections, but the only people I have ever met who could make a go at selling rare paper are those who inherit our collection. Never met a person who just invested and knocked it out of the park. It always starts as one person passion who like me got some great deals over a long time but also over spent on many more items.

If books are not your thing and you have a chance to nail such a profit, then sell it because they will likely only loose value just keeping them.

Just my thoughts,
Sounds like good advice to me.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sterling, could you post readable images of the Title page and the Copyright page
where the publisher and other info is?

I'm trying to determine if you have actual First Editions of this work,
or if they were a pre-publication presentation set.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did some more research on this title, and found that WorldCat
is showing 21 copies all printed in 1907, but there are several
different publishers noted.

One of the ones noted is Doubleday, however I still haven't
found a listing of the true First Edition "points", so can't confirm
if your copy is an actual First Edition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions