Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 1940ís Gallet Multichron Chronograph

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    3667 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

1940ís Gallet Multichron Chronograph

I swung by a new flea market and came across a booth with some watches. I was talking to the guy for a while about watches and ended up buying a messed up Elgin for parts. I guess he took a liking to me and said he had an old chronograph and if I was interested. He said it was a Gallet. I met him today and picked up this rare beauty. It runs but needs work on the chronograph minute hand and a service. It is amazing because it is only 29 mm in diameter: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536614548.140550.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	859.0 KB 
ID:	1630779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536614557.370327.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	935.2 KB 
ID:	1630780
    Nitric, artslinger, Drmad7 and 4 others like this.

Jul 2015
    498 times
    It is a beauty, looks quite a complicated watch with all those small parts. That is definitely a show of high end and quality. Congratulations on that little gem! Do you change the bands when you do sell some of your watches? I always do, it makes such an incredible difference. Of course, not when it's a high end original band, but definitely any replacement band. That watch would look beautiful with a black leather band. Amazing score!

artslinger
    Last edited by artslinger; Sep 10, 2018 at 07:09 PM.
    JimDon likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5010 times
    That is awesome!!! I love working on the complicated stuff too.

It would look really cool with a crystal on the back. I picked up one of the smallest chrono minute repeaters I've ever seen. It's too big for a wrist watch and aweful small for a pocket watch...I still haven't cased it.

I love this complicated stuff!!! And yours is odd, because I can't remember seeing too many that aren't perfectly round. That has an oval shape to the movement. I also wonder what they removed from the balance cock? Looks like they ground something off at some point, maybe even at the factory.
    Last edited by Nitric; Sep 10, 2018 at 07:08 PM.
    JimDon and goldenwonderbear like this.

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    3667 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Import Code was ground off the balance cock. Iím not sure why it could be a replacement. I replaced the Crystal and put it on at leather strap but I did order a special military strap for this one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536666332.789661.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	806.3 KB 
ID:	1630942
    Nitric and Drmad7 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    10397 times
    Nice buy! Thanks for sharing...
    JimDon likes this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

TreasureNet

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    13574 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I love the inner workings of the watch...simply beautiful!
    JimDon likes this.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    3295 times
    That’s a great looking watch. Congrats
    JimDon likes this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    13810 times
    That's a rare find JD. Kudos to your success.
    JimDon likes this.

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    3667 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    That's a rare find JD. Kudos to your success.
    It is rare indeed but it also makes it very difficult to find parts. My guy is going to service it for $300 plus any parts which will be on a quote ďbasis iif he can find them. I am hoping it wonít need any parts.
    Nitric likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5010 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDon View Post
    It is rare indeed but it also makes it very difficult to find parts. My guy is going to service it for $300 plus any parts which will be on a quote “basis iif he can find them. I am hoping it won’t need any parts.
    I'm horrible at remembering things and what interchanges.....All my books, I either gave away or packed up. Is the maker of the movement Gallet? Or are they just the watch makers name? The ground balance cock makes me curious if they used another makers movement. If that sentence made any sense at all."Debranded" for Gallet, type of thing.

If you do run into a parts issue? PM me, I may have someone I can try. It's worth a try if he can't find the parts for you. I have some chrono parts left, but don't remember Gallet(that small) mostly pocket size.. I have some stuff that I saved for Valjoux but don't know what else is left.

added... Some info..You may not care about this stuff...But I love that movement and wanted to know more. I started searching the net since my books are packed away....Here's what I thought was a cool article on Gallet. I'm into the complicated stuff...It's hard to even to begin to remember a fraction of that world.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-...l-chronograph/
    Last edited by Nitric; Sep 12, 2018 at 08:18 PM.
    JimDon likes this.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4057 times
    I love Gallet Chonos and Have a very rare Solid gold one with the Valjoux movement. Check out Gallets website. You can send yours in for complete factory restoration and it is not really outrageously priced. Will change out all parts to factory. One of very few watch co that do this. and reasonable
    Nitric and JimDon like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Apr 2014
    Midwest
    975 times
    Thrift Stores/Ebay
    Changing out original parts for new parts is NOT what vintage watch collectors want you to do. It kills the originality of the watch. If you do let them change out the parts, make sure they send you the original parts. A future buyer might want those parts.
    JimDon likes this.

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    3667 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    I'm horrible at remembering things and what interchanges.....All my books, I either gave away or packed up. Is the maker of the movement Gallet? Or are they just the watch makers name? The ground balance cock makes me curious if they used another makers movement. If that sentence made any sense at all."Debranded" for Gallet, type of thing.

If you do run into a parts issue? PM me, I may have someone I can try. It's worth a try if he can't find the parts for you. I have some chrono parts left, but don't remember Gallet(that small) mostly pocket size.. I have some stuff that I saved for Valjoux but don't know what else is left.

added... Some info..You may not care about this stuff...But I love that movement and wanted to know more. I started searching the net since my books are packed away....Here's what I thought was a cool article on Gallet. I'm into the complicated stuff...It's hard to even to begin to remember a fraction of that world.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-...l-chronograph/
    Thanks for the info. I already sent it to my regular watch guy. He is much cheaper than Gallet at $850. Excelsior Park was Galletís in house movement.
    Nitric likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5010 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmad7 View Post
    Changing out original parts for new parts is NOT what vintage watch collectors want you to do. It kills the originality of the watch. If you do let them change out the parts, make sure they send you the original parts. A future buyer might want those parts.
    This really depends...If it's done right no one will ever know. And if they use factory parts? No, difference. I understand if your meaning after market dials, hands,or changing numbered plates without properly repairing them, stuff like that, but on the internals, if it's done correctly, repaired properly, no one would know. At least that's the goal of the guys that strive to be one of the best.

I've heard the "horror" stories of guys sending their watches and they come back , ....And the watch maker stole the jewels. Because they think "jewels" are like diamonds. Not knowing that it's a bearing basically and the watch wouldn't work with out them.

On the flip side I've seen some hacked up crap. Where they couldn't find the right parts, couldn't make parts, and just made a mess out of the movements. Those guys usually don't get a good reputation, and most learn of them real fast. A lot of the real old stuff? parts have to be made. There is no way around it. Then you want a guy that makes the part the same way, and duplicates an exact replacement part.
    Last edited by Nitric; Yesterday at 11:05 AM.
    JimDon likes this.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4057 times
    We call the guys that leave evidence of their work on the movement Screw Jockeys I have seen many a movement with hacked up screws. A tell tale sign of an amateur
    Nitric likes this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links