niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to get out to yard sales much this year, but I did get to a few this weekend. Not much to show for it, but I picked up this bronze medal from the 1972 Olympics in Munich. I don't think this was a medal awarded to an athlete, but I'm not sure what it actually is. Searching online, I was able to find just 2 examples for sale on Ebay, priced between $55 and $65. The bail on mine is possibly gold, I haven't tested it yet. The bag had a "Make offer" sticker, so I offered $1, and she accepted! The 1972 Olympics are notorious because of the terrorist killing of the some of the israeli athletes: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/massacre-begins-at-munich-olympics
Resized_20190706_145139.jpg Resized_20190706_145155.jpg
Update: The hanging loop or bail thing tests 14K gold!

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what you have there. I searched images, and all I saw of the 72 Munich games had the same design, but different from yours. medal.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting piece, nice find! :icon_thumleft:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, Sorry I'm late to the party. That medal is a Souvenir medal (available for sale). The Winners medals (gold/silver/bronze) are as Kray showed. A Silver was for sale recently for $3500. The Athletes Participation medal looks like this. That one is worth $350, give or take. I would put this at a good $5 to $10, if you can find a customer for it.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread