niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got these old axes at a garage. The big one says Sager Chemical Axe 1937. The smaller one on the left is marked Plumb. The one on the right in the nice leather scabbard says Kelly True Temper, and the little hatchet says Collins. I did some online research and people collect old axes, I'm just trying to figure out how much to sell them for. Anyone have experience with selling or collecting axes?

IMG_0203.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Plumb is good.
Collins is low on the price point but serviceable.They have different grades , with Velvetcut a higher grade in newer stuff. Might be made in Mexico for cheaper grades.
Sager I don't know about.
True Temper was common at one time and had good steel. I don't know if they imported heads or not . here's an interesting link.https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/true-temper-timeline.1532184/

Thing is , there was some great American axes made. Steel and it's treatment matter for a chosen purpose , but quality fits in there as well.
I'd rather have most examples of American axes made here than an import. Not due to a cultural bias , but quality.
There are manufacturers from other countries that have , and some that do make great axes. New ones are beyond my willing budget though.

E-Bay shows lots of axes. I check now and then but never bid or buy. What matters is actual sell price , but you can get some ideas there.
When I see stuff I could have bought new years ago at asking prices today , value is realized in old American steel.
Some is about the quality. Some is about the nostalgia.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score that's great info on those

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread