tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I went to the post office and saw a fluorescent green sign saying GARAGE SALE with an arrow pointed the way to go. They had a lot of stuff and I asked if they had any jewelry or watches. The lady said i think I put some stuff on a table over there. The jewelry was a tangled mess and looked like nothing, but these 4 wristwatches were in a bag marked 5.00. One timex electric, one timex manual, the helbros with the rotor fallen off and this Elgin Shockmaster which runs Iike a slug, and has an acrylic crystal, but it would clean up very nicely with a little buff and shine. The timex electric had the battery out and it's clean and uncontaminated by the old notorious leaky battery left in for the last 40 years, so that's a good sign, that it might still run under power.

Attachments

• 20200531_182005.jpg
    20200531_182005.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
  • 20200531_181936.jpg
    20200531_181936.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
  • 20200531_181441.jpg
    20200531_181441.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
  • 20200602_055640.jpg
    20200602_055640.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score my friend I love garage sales I look for the ones out in the Country where it wasnt posted on craigs list or sites like that...Well done hope you can get em going again.....Tommy

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Elgin shock masters are bullet proof I have 7 or 8 of them and they all run as found and keep time Bully Great find for a fiver

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Elgin shock masters are bullet proof I have 7 or 8 of them and they all run as found and keep time Bully Great find for a fiver
Yeah you gotta get clever with a bit of luck in the hunt for deals on old timepieces these days. I've use ebay to sell watches since the 90s and back then these 40s 50s rectangle watches would bring sixty seventy bucks pretty regularly, but now they're running like 25 to 35 dollar in value. Some of the early timex watches and early led, lcd quartz watches are now the ones that have increased in value l've noticed collectors are paying more than before. Sure wished Ida bought some of the Rolexes and gold cased watches I saw in the pawn shops in the 1990s before the online way of life came along. Those would have been a stellar investment at todays prices they go for. Anymore you hardly see any high end watches in the pawn shops like you would before internet.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you gotta get clever with a bit of luck in the hunt for deals on old timepieces these days. I've use ebay to sell watches since the 90s and back then these 40s 50s rectangle watches would bring sixty seventy bucks pretty regularly, but now they're running like 25 to 35 dollar in value. Some of the early timex watches and early led, lcd quartz watches are now the ones that have increased in value l've noticed collectors are paying more than before. Sure wished Ida bought some of the Rolexes and gold cased watches I saw in the pawn shops in the 1990s before the online way of life came along. Those would have been a stellar investment at todays prices they go for. Anymore you hardly see any high end watches in the pawn shops like you would before internet.

Yeah me too. Just a few years ago I could’ve bought a submariner for $4000. You got a pay double that now. I agree about pricing with some exception. Helbros is by far the most under performing watch brand. Very few go for a few dollars. Hamilton and Bulovas seem to be escalating in price. Elgin’s are pretty flat. Divers and chronographs continue to escalate. Same with alarm watches or any watch with unusual complication. 1970s watches are doing very well also. Early Rolex bubble backs have lost about half their value over the years. Vintage omega seems to be bouncing around all over the place. Are used to troll eBay for a Watches under $25 buy it now for repair and my alerts get smaller and smaller. Are used to have hundreds to choose from and today I’m lucky to get a handful

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang back in the 90s you could buy pre-owned Air Kings in the $350-$375 range out of many pawn shops. Now no body takes a Rolex to pawn shop anymore it seems because they won't give what you'd get listing them online yourself.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find for $5, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread