May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up out of the jewelry pile at the flea market today. I was able to ID it as an EXTREMELY RARE British Revolutionary War 71st Regiment of Foot Fraser’s Highlander’s cartridge box badge. It appears to be a dug example and has been re-purposed to use as a pin or for mounting. This appears to be a extremely rare piece and the only references I can find have been a previous dug example on treasurenet and references in several museum collections. I think it is worth big bucks. It was $1. IMG_6379.jpg
IMG_6380.jpg

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I looked it up through Terapeak on my eBay account. One sold on July 14, 2020 for $1635. Listing is over 90 days old so I don't have any other information.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked it up through Terapeak on my eBay account. One sold on July 14, 2020 for $1635. Listing is over 90 days old so I don't have any other information.

Much appreciated. There is actually a regiment of reenactors in this area for the Fraser’s. I reached out to the administrator and he confirmed he thinks it’s real and gave me an estimate of between $1000 and $2000. Your eBay findings confirm that. Really excited.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much appreciated. There is actually a regiment of reenactors in this area for the Fraser’s. I reached out to the administrator and he confirmed he thinks it’s real and gave me an estimate of between $1000 and $2000. Your eBay findings confirm that. Really excited.

Incredible find! Great eye JD, congratulations. It's amazing how the law of attraction works in our favor! :-)

Artslinger

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent historical find. Had you dug this, I, and surely, others, would have nominated it for the Banner.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It does look like it was dug or found in the ground.
It also looks like Santa came early too...that would brighten up my holidays for sure! Nice score on the box plate, a centerpiece to any great collection right there!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Great eye JD, congratulations. It's amazing how the law of attraction works in our favor! :-)

Artslinger

Thank you. I literally pulled it out of a large table of tangled necklaces and other junk jewelry. I couldn’t believe it was in there.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a cast item, original would have been stamped. The remaining solder circles are from other pin posts as the one remaining one and they are for modern clutch type fasteners.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The back is modern. The originals I have seen have a lot more detail on them, they are a lot more crisp. Have you looked at the known examples in the reference books?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not to sure about this one JD, as to me it looks like a copy casted in brass form another example and a lose of finer details from an original have dulled. As for the patina, this is pretty simple to chemically reproduce in order to give brass that age old look.

Attachments

• jacob-marley-door-knocker-metal-finishes-closeup.jpg
    jacob-marley-door-knocker-metal-finishes-closeup.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The back is modern. The originals I have seen have a lot more detail on them, they are a lot more crisp. Have you looked at the known examples in the reference books?

The back was added to mount the piece probably in a display. This is very similar to the dug example on Treasurenet. I am still going to have it authenticated.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Very cool Jim! I hope it checks out for you !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread