Copper/Sterling Overlay Desk Set Hallmark Help

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This very nice desk set followed me home over the weekend and Iā€™ve spent a number of hours looking for a place to ID the maker.

Itā€™s well made, has a patent date, catalog number and hallmark but I canā€™t decipher it.

Itā€™s a diamond outline with AHMS or AMHS inside.

Most of the online resources focus on 1 brand or workshop. Thereā€™s nothing like the silver hallmark page for copper that Iā€™ve been able to find.

Does anybody has an idea of who or what workshop/company made this set? All the pieces are in good shape, including the glass jar for the ink.

Attachments

• 33246483-C060-45FC-B8FA-0DB8FEFE3594.jpeg
    33246483-C060-45FC-B8FA-0DB8FEFE3594.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itā€™s a maker mark rather than a hallmark. The letters are intended to be read in the order ā€˜HAMSā€™ and stand for ā€˜Heintz Art Metal Shopā€™, active in Buffalo, NY from 1905-1930. Otto Heintz acquired the Arts & Crafts Company in 1903 and changed the name to Heintz Art Metal Shop in 1905. The name was later changed to Heintz Brothers Manufacturing. The company was well known for handwrought copper and bronze wares with sterling overlay in ā€˜Arts & Craftsā€™ style.

Potentially rather collectible. I'd like to see them if you'd kindly oblige with some pictures.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, very desirable art metal. I would enjoy seeing it also.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely forgot to upload the group picture. Here it is for everybody to enjoy.

Thanks for the quick ID and I gather from the name the monogram is read from the center overlay letter then left to right? That will be good to know for future identification of pieces.

Attachments

• 24E48F69-2C47-4160-83B3-3CBCADAB0AB4.jpeg
    24E48F69-2C47-4160-83B3-3CBCADAB0AB4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • C3183078-758C-435C-A31C-7D04D33669AC.jpeg
    C3183078-758C-435C-A31C-7D04D33669AC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itā€™s a beautiful piece. Itā€™s too bad someone polished it and took off all the original patina. Probably cut the value in half.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely forgot to upload the group picture. Here it is for everybody to enjoy.

Thanks for the quick ID and I gather from the name the monogram is read from the center overlay letter then left to right? That will be good to know for future identification of pieces.

Very nice, polished or not. Thanks for showing.

Reading monograms of intertwined/overlaid letters is never completely straightforward. Generally, the most prominent letter or letters will be for the actual company name (which might also be the name of a person). ā€˜Most prominentā€™ can mean at the top, bottom or centre; or the largest; or distinguished by typeface (including colour in some instances); or the uppermost layer, if superimposed; or some combination of those.

In this case, it could have been the ā€˜Mā€™ or the ā€˜Hā€™, but I recognised the likely maker from the information you provided.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itā€™s a beautiful piece. Itā€™s too bad someone polished it and took off all the original patina. Probably cut the value in half.

Thatā€™s exactly how it was found. Iā€™m planning on removing the built up polish residue in the cracks and nothing else. I think some warm water and fine bristle paint brush wonā€™t disturb/scratch anything.

The loss of patina is unfortunate but wouldnā€™t a piece like this come shiny when new and the patina occurs overtime. I realize some artists use chemicals to create patina but it might not be that bad. It will acquire a new patina with years of use.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they were manufactured they wouldā€™ve applied a patina to the item. They never wouldā€™ve been polished Copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread