Possibly a Native American piece, but need help to authenticate.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friends, I found this at a sale yesterday. It seems to be Native American, or maybe South Western. The Turquoise really makes it stand out. The work is either a litho or serigraph. It is original as it does not have the dot matrix pattern. I wanted to ask all of you if you had ever seen this monogram? As always, thank you for your time and feedback. I appreciate it.

artslinger 20210822_131011.jpg 20210822_130949.jpg 20210822_130936.jpg

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Artslinger

The signature and cache symbol are that of Eustace Paul Ziegler (1881-1969). He was one of the first US artists to arrive in Alaska and notable for his portraits of Native and pioneer life in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest from the gold-rush era to statehood in 1959.

That particular work is of an Athabaskan woman from the Wood River drainage named Eudoxia with her son Basil and is titled "Doxie & Basil (Tanana Mother & Child)". He executed the work multiple times in various sizes, in oil, in watercolour, and in drypoint.

If it were one of those originals, it would comfortably have a value in the low thousands, but has been continuously produced as a 24 x 36 print since 1962 and also as 16 x 20 prints, including as textured lithographs. Depending on age, size and quality, those can have values in the low hundreds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Artslinger

The signature and cache symbol are that of Eustace Paul Ziegler (1881-1969). He was one of the first US artists to arrive in Alaska and notable for his portraits of Native and pioneer life in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest from the gold-rush era to statehood in 1959.

That particular work is of an Athabaskan woman from the Wood River drainage named Eudoxia with her son Basil and is titled "Doxie & Basil (Tanana Mother & Child)". He executed the work multiple times in various sizes, in oil, in watercolour, and in drypoint.

If it were one of those originals, it would comfortably have a value in the low thousands, but has been continuously produced as a 24 x 36 print since 1962 and also as 16 x 20 prints, including as textured lithographs. Depending on age, size and quality, those can have values in the low hundreds.

Thank you very, very much. I truly and sincerely appreciate your time, and information. This is more like a litho, as I took it out of the frame to feel the surface of it, and it's definitely not oil or waterc. There is one right now on ebay (oil) for 4800 and 17 watches. I paid $5 for mine. Thanks again, and much appreciated.

artslinger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions